CHAPTER 5:

Crystal in the media:

I felt beyond weak by the time we'd gotten to the palace gates.

I spent the whole night crying.

Everything that happened yesterday was like a dream until I saw the blood stain on my body.

The painful memories of losing me-maw and the tears in Eri's eyes came crashing back and they crashed hard.

Couldn't someone just kill me already?

Life didn't seem worth living anymore.

I watched the guards open the huge palace gates.

Everything looked nice though we were only following one straight path to the entrance.

There were humans working in the gardens with little smiles on their faces.

I would kill for a job in the gardens or kitchen.

Anywhere that was far away from a vampire.

There were also cage-carriages that had humans locked up inside.

So, I'm guessing they went to other parts of the Redlake.

The vampires lived in the middle of everything while humans lived by the edges like on the outskirts.

From what me-maw told me, there were about six to seven different villages excluding ours.

Some people are actually related but can't see each other because if they get caught going to another town, that'll be the end.

I shifted closer to the bars when I felt something odd in my dress.

There was a necklace with a blue crystal that was the center of attention.

How'd this get in my clothes?

I've never seen something like this in my life.

Where did it come from?

Yes, I'm a thief but I only steal food.

Besides what am I doing with a piece of jewelry that I couldn't eat.

Not to sound like a backward savage but from how I grew up, food comes before any other thing.

If this came with me from the village then I'm going to die with it.

The carriage came to a stop and the sound of footsteps filled my ears.

"alright you good for nothings; get down and don't make me drag you out" our captor yelled and opened the cage.

I was the first to fly out.

It was getting a little stuffy in there.

The guard didn't even allow us to stretched before pushing us off to where the slaves were gathering.

Before we got there, he asked our names and wrote it down.

For reasons we'll find out later rather than sooner.

I hoped. 

The place was full and in front was like a platform.

I looked around and saw so many people.

Some looked worse than I did.

Others looked a bit better.

The place was dead silent.

Guess everyone was afraid to do something that would get them into trouble.

There were vampire guards everywhere so even if we wanted to run, they would stop us.