075. ꕥ Redundancy

Start from the beginning

He moved past me, and that's when I took my chance to put my gun away and come up beside Raven, following her position. "What is the plan here?"

Raven didn't even glance over in my direction as she answered. "The way we blow this turbine is by blowing the other four. This one won't be able to handle the power, and it'll blow on its own."

The realization hit me. "So that means we can still cut the power. We can still save everyone."

There was a faint smile that twitched at Raven's lips while she worked before she rehearsed, "We can save everyone." 

"What can I do?" My head turned back to Raven.

"Help Wick set the detonators. They'll be guards coming in here soon, so we have to work fast."

"I can do that." I smiled before pushing myself from the crouching position I was in and going to help Wick. He was working at the turbine at the end, setting the detonator. "Need any help?"

Not waiting for a response, I came up beside Wick, already assessing what he was doing. He scoffed before replying, "No, I got this."

A smirk came upon my face as I lifted my arm to point at the bomb. "Then shouldn't that wire be over there?" 

Wick stopped what he was doing to look at where I was pointing. "Uh, yeah, you're right."

As he got back to work, I smiled. "I always am."

"You know, you have the ego to be an engineer." Wick remarked.

My eyes didn't leave where he was working to ensure everything was going smoothly. "Thanks?" There were a few moments of silence before I decided to speak up. "This is probably not what you expected when coming to the ground, huh? — Fighting for your life every day."

Wick tilted his head to the side before he quipped, "I didn't picture it was a picnic either."

My laugh stifled in my throat. "That is definitely true."

"This is what you're used to, right? Like you said — fighting for your life every day. Isn't that what life was like for you?"

Wick's statement lingered on my mind longer than I'd care to admit. I mean, what he said was true; I had been fighting for my life since I was born. It hasn't always been a physical fight either; sometimes, it was just finding a good enough place to hide or getting a sufficient amount of food. But that's what John was there for. To ensure I was fed and well taken care of, he was always there for me. He always made sure I was taken care of, no matter what he had to do.

"Yeah, I guess your right." I mumbled as I wiped the tears that had formed in my eyes. "But my brother helped me through it. I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for him."

After Wick finished setting the detonator, he gave me a sympathetic smile before we rushed over to the next turbine. Another word wasn't spoken between us as we kept working. I'd help Wick here and there; I was trying to help as he continued to work diligently. We moved from the second to the third, and we were finishing on the fourth when banging could be heard on the metal doors that entered the room.

"Today, guys!" Raven's impatient yells were what pulled my head from the door to her. She was now crouched down away from the turbines, waiting for us to finish. My job was done. I only stayed with Wick to offer a little bit of protection if someone managed to get through the doors.

"I'm moving as fast as I ca—" He cut himself off when a thunderous thud came from the door. "Actually, I can go faster."

It was only a few seconds later when he sprung up from his pot. He grabbed my arm and started pulling me towards where Raven was.

"Did you get it done?" Raven shouted as we sprinted across the floor to her.

Wick waved his finger in the air as we did so. "Push the damn button, Raven!"

That's exactly what Raven did. She pushed the button as we got closer to her, and I could hear explosions come from behind me. We made it to Raven, us crouching down next to her watching the beginning of the turbines exploding.

"It's working." Said Wick.

Yelling could be heard from the outside of the door. After the three of us stood back up, Raven mumbled, "We're too close."

We started running in the direction of the back door. We only stopped when we heard an unknown voice. "Freeze."

We turned around to be faced with the guards that had been previously pounding on the door who had managed to get inside. They were wearing hazmats suits with gas masks on. Their guns were raised and pointed at the three of us. "Hands up."

We did as told and put our hands up in the air. I had noticed that both Wick and Raven were still slowly backing up, so I followed their movements backing up with them because all three of us knew we were way too close to the turbines. If they exploded now, we'd be seriously hurt or dead.

My jaw clenched, and my eyes were set on the guards as Wick spoke with a fake smile plastered on his face. "Just keep backing up."

He didn't have to tell me twice. That's what we kept doing, slowly backing away, trying to get away from the turbines without being shot by the guards.

"Stop moving. Right now." One of the guards ordered.

"Aren't we still too close?" My voice was just above a whisper and filled with panic as I projected it towards Raven and Wick.

"We are still too close." Raven matched the tone of my voice.

"Not as close as they are." Wick commented.

And just as the words left his mouth, I could hear the turbines revving, which meant they were about to blow up. That was our signal to turn and start sprinting away from the turbines. We didn't get very far before the bombs destroyed the turbines. The blast that went off sent me flying into a wall and caused me to hit my head against the floor. I had no idea where Wick or Raven was — or if they were even alive, and I didn't have time to look before darkness took over me.

❣︎

A/N
hey guys!!
i hope you all have a merry christmas!!!