And So It Begins

Ida's POV

"Hey." I felt Iylla's arms tightening around me from behind as she rested her head against my back. 

Distracted by the early morning sunrise, I hadn't heard her coming. "Ah, good morning."

"Hmph, if you say so." She shrugged with a yawn. 

"As long as you're in it, every morning is good." I pulled her in front of me, kissing her forehead. 

"You're ridiculous." She looked away, but I noticed a slight sparkle in her eyes. "There has never been a good morning in the history of the world, and my presence will never change that."

"I beg to differ."

I ran circles over her cheeks with my thumbs, wondering how she could only see value in her strength and not in her other numerous attributes. 

Abashed by my attention, Iylla swatted my hands away and sat on the floor. The two of us, as per usual, were early, so we had a good thirty minutes before the rest of class would start showing up. 

I sat beside her, admiring her face in the dim light, still not quite over the story Todoroki told me last night. She was only six years old when Toya died. When she nearly died. 

Iylla shrugged off her P.E. uniform jacket, leaving her in a racerback tank top. The sun was barely starting to come up, but I could already feel the heat it would bring throughout the day. Curious about the scar Uraraka mentioned last night, I leaned back on my hands to try and discreetly catch a glance of it. 

Unfortunately, Todoroki's claim that she practiced keeping people in the dark about her scar seemed to be true because as soon as I posed a threat to her secret, Iylla rotated her body. She masked her true intentions by draping her legs over mine. Had I not known about the scar, I would not have realized she was hiding something. I probably would have thought that she was feeling unusually affectionate today. 

"What?" Iylla asked when I didn't stop starring at her.

"Nothing. I- I wish that I was a more trustworthy person." 

Whatever she was expecting me to say, it clearly wasn't that. Her face muscles flinched in surprise, and she shook her head in confusion.

"What- What are you even talking about? You're perfectly trustworthy. Probably the most trustworthy person in the world. Besides my dad, of course. I don't think there's an untrustworthy bone in your entire body."

Though the confirmation was reassuring, I still found it confusing that she would hide things from me. If that was how she honestly thought of me, why was I still not good enough?

"Seriously," She continued. "Your bones are literally riddled with trust. Whereas me, on the other hand, I don't think I have a single trustworthy bone. You could combine every one of my bones, and they still wouldn't contain as much trust as one of yours."

I hated it when she talked ill of herself, but I couldn't help but laugh at the way she consoled me. 

"You know, trash-talking yourself is the one sure-fire way to ensure I stay disconcerted."

"Disconcerted." She mocked in a deeper voice, karate-chopping the air with a robotic hand.

"Is that supposed to be your impression of me?" I asked, forgetting all about her scar and my feelings of deficiency. "I do not sound like that, and I certainly do not do that."

"You totally do. On both the matters at hand."

"Falsifications."

"Pfft, what did I say?" She pointed at my hand, which was still in the middle of the motion that she had depicted. I crossed my arms, unwilling to accept the reality of the situation. "That was your fault; you got it stuck in my head."