Endeavor's Agency

Iylla's POV

UA's empty hallway filled with the golden morning rays and the sound of my phone ringing and disturbing the peace. I paused right outside the homeroom door, grateful for the opportunity to postpone going in. 

"Hello?" 

"Oh, Iylla, I'm so glad you picked up." Yaoyorozu's cheerful voice spoke in my ear.

"Of course. What's up?"

"I need a favor. Just a small one, I promise." The familiar noises of people's echoing voices came from her side of the phone.

"Are you at the train station?"

"Yes. That's exactly the problem." She explained. "The hero I'm doing my internship with decided that she wanted me to report in earlier than originally planned. She wants me to participate in a TV commercial and photoshoot! Isn't that exciting?!?"

"I mean... sure if that's what you're into."

"Well, anyway, I'm leaving for my internship this morning instead of this afternoon like the rest of class. I was hoping you would let Mr. Aizawa and Ida know why I won't be in class today."

"Sure, I'll let my dad know." My heart skipped a few beats at the thought of having to talk to Ida. "But, uhh, do you think you could call Ida yourself? We're not exactly speaking right now."

"Oh?" She paused, and for a moment, I was alone with my confession. "What's wrong? I thought you two were... you know... together."

"No, no, no. No, we're not together." I waved my hand frantically as if she could see me denying the relationship rumor. "Uhh, it's- it's complicated."

"I understand, but Iylla, I've already tried calling him, and he didn't answer. I suppose I could ask Jiro. I just thought that since you're usually there early-"

"Nevermind, it's fine. I can do it." I cursed myself for acting so cowardly. Ida was just a person, and I can handle people just fine.

"Are you sure? I don't want to inconvenience you."

"Yeah, I got it." I took a deep breath, trying to steady my heart rate. "Anything for you, Yaomomo."

She thought about it for a moment and then agreed. "Okay, if you're sure."

"Yup, I'm totally cool with it." I accepted the responsibility, even though I would very much like to pass it to Jiro. "Have fun at your photoshoot thingy."

"Wait, Iylla," Yaoyorozu shouted, hoping to catch me before I hung up. "Are you okay?"

"Me? Yeah, I'm fine." It wasn't often that I was surprised, but I definitely was right now. "Why do you ask?" 

"Well, you seem... distressed. Is there something you want to talk about? A certain boy, maybe?"

"Uhh." I was so thrown off by her concern that it took me a second to form a response. "Thanks, Momo, but really I'm fine."

"Fine isn't the same as good." She argued.

"No, I'm good," I said, trying to convince her as well as myself.

"Well, you don't have to be. It's okay if you're not or if you need someone to talk to."

I felt the familiar sensation of someone trying to reach out, to be there for me, but it was coming from an unfamiliar person. Usually, my dad, Uncle Mic, or my brothers were the ones who tried to help me out of my ruts. Lately, I've been adjusting to Ojiro, Aoyama, and even Ida, making an effort for me. 

But Yaoyorozu? My life was so oversaturated with boys that I had no idea what it was like to have a girl friend. For someone who has never known that kind of friendship, the outlet Yaoyorozu offered was enticing. Unfortunately, for someone who found it hard to open up, it was also frightening.