Chapter Fifty-Seven: Helios 🙄

I had barely known him, I realise, .

That is why no tears are falling from my eyes, why it seems his death did nothing but disturb me. We had worked together, yes, but we were no more than friendly comrades at best, enemies at worst.

But I also hadn't realised how greatly his death would affect everyone else- he was well known, well loved, loyal, and honorable. He would never have conversed with rebels knowingly.

I hear another set of wails in the garden, so much for my luck, I came out here to escape the unrelenting cries of those who had lost somebody during today's 'execution', not that it really mattered to me. I had recognized two of them, a girl that I had seen in the kitchens a few times before- in fact, even once I believe she had given me a heap of comfort food, in one of my more... pressing moments. And then Ea, that slimy bastard, although I guess it is bad will to call a dead man such names- after all, his flower may be out here. From how Anul was acting, I have no doubt she had already moved it.

I follow the wail folding my earlier brandished wings tightly to my back, mindful of all the spindly branches near this end of the forest, and all the thorny plants surrounding the narrow grave pathway.

I try to slow my footsteps, pushing myself against a tree trunk asa bare bench comes into view, listening and waiting.

A sniffle, as if somebody had scent him and was drying their tears.

I watched in near fascination- gripped between rubbing my temples and pressure currently building up beneath my skin- and coming up behind this figure to soothe them, even though my newly acquired sunburn would not find the latter a good option.

I look upon the girl currently curled around herself on the wooden bench, and my wings rustle. She is biting her frilly sleeves, probably trying to stifle another moan of anguish, but it still carries.

A head of fiery red hiding amongst a tree filled with billowing leaves, I finally recognise her. One of the only half-fae in the entire castle- the one one brave enough to sit amongst a garden with millions of forest faeries prowling these lands.

Viviendel.

The name skitters on the outskirts of my mind.

Ea's lover, at least, I think she was. Ea was always secretive and about who he let into his bed and why.

I take another step and her head snaps to my position in the shadows, "Bayou?" Her voice is croaky, but I ignore it.

Taking another step, I uncurl my wings and paste on my signature grin before making myself known. Viviendel swipes her sleeve over there nose, sniffling again, wiping her eyes before looking back to me. Once again a fathomable Queen.

I take another step, watching as she tilts her head up, looking at me from under her nose- a feat utterly admirable.

When I sit down on the bench, I watch as she shifts over to the opposite end.

"He would hate to see you cry, dearest Laritione." I address her first. I don't even know why I say it, but it is true.

He would hate anybody crying over him- he would find it a waste at large.

Her eyes go large, "Yes," Is all she says, although I can tell that there are words bubbling beneath the surface just waiting to emerge.

I watch as she sniffles again, and open my arms in a silent command. Her lip wobbles before climbing up into my arms.

_*_

Her head-currently cradled by my chest- heaves with each racketing sob.

Viviendel has her legs tucked beneath her, her arms positioned on my hips, her nails digging in, as if to keep herself up.

But after a while- each of her deafening wails banging within my skull quite uncomfortably- she starts to calm

I peel her off of my chest, and her eyes are as wide as a doe's, as dutiful as a toddlers- yet she has the secret fire of a woman that no man could ever hope to achieve.

"Hey," Is the only thing I could say. She doesn't reply- instead, she stares at me wordlessly. That secret fire burning brighter.

"I vowed, you know," She starts sniffling as she croaks.

"Vowed what?" I cock my head as I inquire, my own voice harsh against her softened one, even after crying she holds herself high. Her voice wavers. But she keeps her chin up. Viviendel, I realise, will one day make a strong ambitious Queen. Fryeja would be proud.

"I vowed that whoever hurt-" She trails off.

"Ea," I supply gently- knowing that his name may start the emotions again.

But she only nods, "Yes. I vowed that I would hunt them down- and if the situation demanded it, I would kill them." She pauses, meeting my gaze.

"Never did I think that I would bring him the most pain- that I would k-" She swallows another stifle- lowering her gaze again. "That I would do what I did." I sheen layer of guilt and shame covering her words now.

Her body heaves from another sob, yet she reigns it in.

"If you wouldn't have," I try, taking her trembling fingers in my own sun-burnt ones. "Jorogumo would have." I level my stare, forcing hers to meet mine. "And we all know she would not have made it quick," Viviendel clenches her jaw.

"Tell Anul that," Her eyes turn pained as she remembers how Anul's fury had beckoned her to nearly kill Viviendel.

"The heir still has the remnants of the battle peppered on her skin- bruises, a near shredded dress, a black eye, cuts, and even some dried blood. It makes my nose tingle.

Not to mention how she smells faintly like burned flesh. I have no doubt that when she goes back into her room, Delta will be there, sword in hand.

She had hurt his mate after all- and that bastard would rather die than see his mate in pain. Really, it was quite honorable.

Well, it would have been if his soulmate didn't pick fights with any and every person ever known. Over petty little things at that. Not that Ea's death was at all petty.

On that sour thought I added- a bit harshly-, "I will walk you back."

If she dies- it will be pinned on me since I was the last person to see her, and from the few flower Fae- Fae who hide amongst flowers, all Encantados's.- shifting in the moonlight just to glare at me. I have no doubt my whereabouts will be stated.

Viviendel nods, uncurling from her perch atop the bench and straightening the tatters she calls a dress, I put my arm out, but she shakes her head.

-*-

Delta is not here- meaning that he must be mending Anul's melted skin. Guards were already stationed. 3 Tomairsitkiz's, 2 Bwardipuginin's, and 4 Laritiones. No Encantados's.

Her earlier guards must have been excused.

I managed to get two human lasses to send up hot moon water and sea salt up to her room, hoping it may calm her down.

She did just lose her love- it was the least I could do.

And hopefully, the salt will keep her content for a time.