Chapter 13: Viviendel🐾

𝕬 𝖌𝖎𝖗𝖑 𝖓𝖆𝖒𝖊𝖉 𝕬𝖓𝖚𝖑 𝖕𝖚𝖑𝖑𝖘 𝖒𝖊 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖈𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖆𝖌𝖊.

Delta is Anul's mate, and Anul is Delta's mate. I am still shocked that the king of morons himself found a mate, and one as smart as Anul. Though I guess they do balance each other out. I always wondered about mates, I know I can find mine... if I tried. But I am not currently interested in trying to find a mate.

It seems like all my life I have been trying to find something. When I was young, I searched for my mother. Not even knowing that people actually believe that I am the daughter of a Queen. When I grew up a little more, my family became poorer, so I then looked for cheap food. Then Ea came along and I started to look for answers.

Why do they believe that I am a daughter of some prissy Queen? Why do they think that I could ever be an heir? Why did my father lie to me if they are correct? Why is everything I have ever known thrown in the trash along with that hobble I lived in? Why do I have to learn about riding horses, throwing daggers, using a sword, basic combat, and manipulation?

So many questions and so little time to ask them all.

Anul only stops walking when we are in a barren field and the Laritione's voice can not reach us. Her grey hair is the only sign of her dolphin heritage as it bounces atop her head with every fluid motion. She has dark green skin, not an uncommon thing among the Fae. Kind of like people with white skin and people with ebony skin, they are not different from one another. They just look different. Same with the Fae, ones with light green skin and those with dark green skin are the same.

And the Fae with dark green skins' life matters just as much as a light one. There are no differences. We are a unity of people on Imbolc Island, not saying that in other islands riots broke out and fights made everybody lose their senses, not to mention the horrible war raging in Hiems- The Land of Winter.

Why can't people just accept the differences and let that be that? Why do people have to make it significantly harder to live out a mortal or immortal lifespan?

"So, Viviendel, what do you think of Bayou?" Anul's voice cuts through my thoughts.

"I think he is a moron who steals stuff," I mutter. Anul laughs a joyous sound.

"I completely agree," She pivots on the back of her heel in the middle of the field. Turning towards me. "Minus the 'steals stuff' part."

The entire conversation stops and we just stare at each other in awkward silence. I almost want to turn around and throw myself in the garden of everlasting blooms behind us. But then, if I accidentally crush one, then the poor soul would not get to return to Imbolc Island or anywhere else on the face of the Otherworld.

"Okay..." She pivots again, pulling a scroll ridden with ink from the fold of her dress. Pockets, I realise.

Lucky.

They never make pockets in girl clothes, and it is very irritating.

She starts to read the elegant font scratched onto the parchment and then clicks her tongue in annoyance.

"I don't remember writing any of this!" Anul says as she tosses the paper into the patch of everlasting blooms on the side. Most would say it was a gift to the souls still occupying Tech Duin- The Land of the Dead and Ghouls- but in all honesty, it is littering. I quickly pick up the paper. Reading about beauty and refrigerators. And a word I do not recognize that was crossed out, 'erinaceous'.

A gallop of hooves shakes me out of my thoughts, and when I look back- expecting to see one of the two hounds rushing towards us- I catch sight of two deadlier Faeries atop even more terrifying hounds.