Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Twelve: Secret

Start from the beginning

“Thank you… What is your name?”

“Alena, my liege,” she said with a deep bow. The other healers left the room, it was apparent that Alena was going to be the healer that would watch over her. Viktor decided it was best to get to know her. He wasn’t leaving Evanangelique’s side. “Would you like a chair?”

“Yes please.” She walked to the other side of the room to grab a chair, he watched her walk with little interest. He found that a little odd. He found himself interested in nearly every female Night Child, they were stunning and would stay that way forever. “Will she be okay?”

Alena shrugged her shoulders, “can’t tell for certain. We have done everything we can… its just whether she wants to fight or not.”

“She was born a fighter,” Viktor replied taking the chair from her and dragging it over, he never let go of her hand. He sat down, holding Evan…angelique’s hand in his. He was still having difficulty thinking of Evan as a girl. A very pretty human girl who had lied to him for her entire existence. He didn’t know if the lie was the most frustrating part, or the fact that he NEVER seen it. Like he spent every day since her birth with her… and he NEVER knew. Even though he wouldn’t admit it… he felt like an idiot.

“Prince Viktor,” Viktor turned his head to see a messenger at the door. “Your father requests you in his office.”

“Tell him I’ll take a rain check.”

“But my liege! The King is requesting your company immediately.”

“Re-quest-ing” he said sounding it out like he was trying to explain it to someone who was mentally deficient. “Not de-man-ding, now tell him I will come on my own damn time, and not a second before I feel like it and if he has a problem with it he can come and see me!”

“I can’t speak to King Vincent like that!”

Viktor’s eyes flashed from their starving red to black, to an unsettling blue laced with venomous green, “you disobey your Prince?”

The human messenger looked to be in shock, “n-n-n-no n-no sir, I’ll tell him… right away.”

“King Vincent isn’t going to take kindly to that message,” it was the first thing Griever had said in the past hour and a half.

Viktor looked up at him, “what’s he going to do? Kill me? He needs a heir, and I’m it.”

“Kill you, no… the messenger might just be toast though,” Viktor shrugged. Not his problem. He looked to Alena, “When is she going to come out of it?”

Alena shrugged, it was the best answer she could give, there was no telling. “she could wake today, tomorrow or a week from now… My Prince…” her voice cracked and she looked down with concern to Evanangelique, “she might not wake at all.”

Viktor looked down, as Evan he was a tough fighter, so what some wounds, nothing. Nothing stopped Evan. Evan was his best friend, he already lost Garrett, he couldn’t loose her too! But Evanangelique frail female human. Viktor found himself growling at the thought. How could he not notice. He was to protect Evan. Evan was to protect him. Even as Evanangelique she had done her part, but had he been fast enough to do his. He cursed the sunlight.

~

“Vincent do you think it wise?” Lucid asked as he stood at the side of the throne Vincent sat in.

Vincent was looking over the vast room. He could practically replay the night Evan had come into his life. When Marianne and John came in, holding the infant in there hands. How could a Girl be their savoir. Had they missed their chance at the true savoir when they were deceived? Was their another child out their in wait to fulfil it’s destiny? How could it be a girl? “To let John go? Yes… he would have went anyways, besides he’s taking the opponent down a peg.”

“Not what I meant, I mean Evan,” Lucid elaborated.

“What if we were wrong in our interpretation?”

Vincent asked a bit off topic, or at least Lucid thought so. “What do you mean?”

“Have you told Viktor about the Night Children’s mating process? About getting a heir?”

“No… It wasn’t time,” Lucid seemed off balance, should he have told the young prince.

“Good.” Apparently not. “Maybe our savoir was to be female.”

“I’m afraid I’m not following Vincent,” Lucid was rather confused.

“Don’t tell Viktor of the mating process. None of it.”

“Umm… okay.” Lucid was surprised, Vincent didn’t do much teaching of his son, mostly Vincent set up battle plans, lived a luxurious lifestyle and made sure the Night Children didn’t eat their Daylight Guardians, and kept the Blood Brigade under control. “I don’t understand my liege.”

“What is the one thing the female can do that a male on his own can not?”

“Oh,” Lucid had a very bad feeling, “are you sure… Viktor won’t like this. Not one bit.”

“Which is why we don’t tell him what he doesn’t need to know.” A messenger entered, “where is my son? Why is he not with you?”

“He said… he would come on his own time, not a second before, and if you don’t like it… you can come see him.” The humans voice was quiet it quivered in fear. Vincent was across the room in a second his hand through the mortals skull. “Damn, I just wanted him to learn a lesson… Lucid get someone to clean these skull fragments would you?”

“As you wish my liege.”