Chapter Thirty Eight: Ea💋

Start from the beginning

-*-

I awake with a start.

"Why hello," I mumble against Viviendels hair. But she doesn't respond, and I carefully look down at her, my mouth erupting into a smile as I watch her peaceful face snuggle closer to my chest. My heart thrums ceaselessly as she mumbles something incoherent.

"What was that?" I ask softly, playing with a few soft strands of her hair.

She doesn't say anything in response, and for a while, we just lay there, in peace.

But then I have to ruin it, like I do everything... my stomach growls and Viviendel shifts gently, nuzzling my chest once more.

I unwrap my legs from around her, grab a few spare blankets that must have been thrown (Or pushed) off of the bed while we were sleeping, and slowly, very meticulously, crawl out from beneath her. Instantly replacing my own warmth with one from a heap of blankets and pillow.

I stretch languidly, content and smiling like an idiot.

Gods, have I waited so long to kiss her like I did. I stuff my hands in my pockets and leave the room, my shirt still forgotten.

-*-

When I arrive at the palace kitchens to pick up some breakfast for Viviendel and I, I notice a new kitchen lady.

One with pale pink skirts hiked up on one side to show white, fluffy stockings and kitten heels.

I go up to greet her, but when she looks at me I swear I have seen her before. And when her dark eyes meet mine, I swear she has seen me before, too. The way her eyes seer into my soul, like she knows everything. A shiver courses up my spine, but I still make my way up to her.

"Hello, my name is Ea. My title is royal guard of the Bwardipuginin heir and before our lost Queen, but now, I guess, I have also been declared the title of Drama Queen by our beloved heir to the Wilderness and Death clan." I chuckle lightly, and the girl does as well.

"Well, Ea, Drama Queen and royal guard, my name is Branwen. My title is cook lady for the day, but now, I guess, I have also been declared the title of therapist by our beloved friend, Helios." She flicks her thumb over her shoulder to Helios, sitting at a booth completely stoned. I wonder is he slept at all.

"That seems like a joy," I stare at him.

She chuckles. "All I hear is "vermin, rats, shit in the walls"... Non Stop." My gaze instantly reverts to hers.

Do I look guilty?

I feel my face flame.

"Why does a royal guard, and a Queen as your stature pronounces, not wear a shirt?" Branwen asks out of the blue. I avert my gaze and look down at my unclothed state.

"Funny story," I try to concoct a tale but Branwen cuts me off.

"Oh come on, Don't deceive me, boy. You have been sharing a room with your heir, it is no trouble piecing together that you slept together." She rolls her eyes and I stare at her. My jaw, I think absentmindedly, has fallen.

"Well," I brush off an invisible speck of dirt off of my trousers. "We did sleep together, but nothing vulgar occurred. It was simply by default that we had to lay together."

"Well now, boy. I don't think that pretty little gal likes that very much," I give her a strange look. "Nobody likes to be prioritized as 'default'. Nor do they like being spoken about as if their partner in... whatever you two did, was shameful of them. Or what they shared. So, tell me, boy, or I will make sure your pretty little lass knows that you are regretting your moments shared."

I am struck silent...

Did a kitchen lady just tell me to shut up and tell the truth? Wow.

"I-" She nods encouragingly. "I might have kissed her, but that-" and maybe played with her breast. "That was it."

"Really?"

"Yes, really." I nod, and she copies the sentiment back.

Branwen seems nullified by my answer and continues to ask me what I would like, and I catch sight of the horrid bread that is kept out for Viviendels father, of whom is sitting with Helios now at the bar. I crinkle my nose and point towards it.

In the end I only ordered eggs, bacon, pebbles, and the bread.

"I appreciate it," I tell Branwen while balancing one tray on my head, another on my fin and the bread on the other hand. I don't want the bread to touch any of the other food, it will leave a lingering foul taste.

"Don't mention it"

I turn around only to narrowly miss Viviendels father by a hair.

My nose starts to sting.