Chapter Sixteen: Bayou🌹

Start from the beginning

I open yet another book when the door opens, within seconds I am completely covered in shadows. Hiding once again.

My dagger was already out, hiding at my side to make sure that the light does not reflect from the blade.

Anul and Delta walk over to the windowsill on the opposite side of the room. Gazing at the many stars who decided to show themselves and twinkle in the night sky.

I rush outside, taking the window on the opposing side from them and climbing down. Usually, I would hide in Freyja's room since she was rarely ever in it, but now that the heir is sleeping there... I could be caught without all my Encantados glory. As a half-human.

I quickly jump from the vines to Viviendels balcony, hiding myself within the folds of a billowing curtain. I pull the curtain back, using it to climb down to the third story. Where I land on the balcony of a Lord. Soon enough, I make it down to the ground. Or at least, as close to the ground as I could get.

I end up on the roof. Of the stables.

A hound -who I believe is named Guard- sniffs in my direction. And I give a friendly wave to him... forgetting that he is blind. I cringe in apology, though I know he can't see that as well.

The hound harrumphs, as if he sensed I was waving yet cannot see. I roll my eyes before motioning Freedom to come my way. Justice starts to as well, but I quickly wave him off.

When Freedom sees this, her stride lengths, and I can almost imagine her in humanoid form, flipping her hair over a shoulder.

I smother a laugh. Justice glares at me, and I raise an eyebrow in response. Sometimes, I feel more attuned into the feelings of animals and the love of hounds than I do with the Fae and humans alike. Humans are intolerable, and Fae are unendurable. But hounds... they are amazing companions.

I scratch the hound behind her ears before mounting her. Nothing like a midnight run, although if I do get caught without my ears glued on... well, how am I supposed to explain that?

Not that I would have a chance to explain.

After I take over the world, I am going to miss the Morons currently arguing back in the Morons room.

A few years ago, Anul started reading this novel where every single human was addressed using their last names, so she decided to give us last names as well. And she picked- out of all the names in the world- Morons!

It is fitting for everybody else in our little group, but not for me. I am not a moron at all. Now... Anul and Delta, yes. They are morons to the tenth degree.

Ea, well, Ea is just strange. His entire world revolves around rules and regulations. You will never see Ea breaking a rule or stepping out of line.

The complete opposite of Delta, who would rather jump off of a building than follow a 'prissy' rule. He says there is always a choice. A rule always has two ways. One: You can actually follow it. Two: You can be turned into an everlasting bloom. But... there is also a third: You don't follow it and don't get caught. Then, technically, you didn't do it. Since nobody can prove that you did.

But once again, you can rarely catch Delta breaking the rules.

Then you have me: The one who breaks every rule and every regulation, just to make sure that they can still be broken.

Anul is like Delta, since they are equals after all. Though, like Anul pointed out, equals don't have to mean that they are the same. Although they are technically synonyms, a person can be different and still be equal to those around them.

Freedom rides off to the Rebels meeting place, muscle memory guiding her. The Faerie Hound is much quicker than a regular horse that the rest of the human and half-Fae will have donned.

By the end of the night, my favorite black suit and cloak will be stained green.

-*-

𝕸𝖞 𝖉𝖆𝖌𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖗𝖎𝖕𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖔𝖚𝖌𝖍 𝖋𝖑𝖊𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖇𝖑𝖔𝖔𝖉, 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉 𝖊𝖈𝖍𝖔𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖓𝖊𝖆𝖗-𝖘𝖎𝖑𝖊𝖓𝖙 𝖍𝖆𝖑𝖑𝖜𝖆𝖞.

I was correct in my assumption that my clothes would be stained.

Today, us rebels' chose three per person. Three laws broken per rebel. Breaking an Everlasting Bloom, murder, and trespassing. We purposely get caught, but we always get away. That way, the Queens will know about us, but won't know who we are or where we are.

I sheath my dagger, once again, at my side. Walking back to Freedom who is waiting patiently by the stables. I picked the same Lord who might have seen me escape the castle at an ungodly hour.

Let's just say that his balcony is too slippery to climb down from anymore.

As the lord dies and his blood evaporates into mist and his hair shreds to fallen toads and frogs, a bloom forms next to his heart. A star falls from the sky, lighting in the center of the flower. Petals unfurl from the light, and the Lord's body incinerates with the power of the star. The air that busted from it blew his body to the entrance to his room. The ashes from his mortal body form another before letting the wind carry it to Tech Duinn. I turn, waiting for somebody to walk into the room to check on him. Likely a servant who overheard screaming, or perhaps a lady that knew him. Maybe one of his drunken friends.

I take a seat on the velvet chair situated in the dark corner of the Lord's room, waiting.

It doesn't take long before a human servant walks in; he glances about the room. When he sees the Lord's everlasting bloom still upraised to the sky... in a pile of green ooze, he screams.

A cruel smile spreads across my face. He finally glances my way and drops a pail of water he was holding, backing out of the room. He can't see my face, I made sure of that. And my red hair is starker than ever since I forgot to color it earlier.

I swiftly make for the balcony before one of his guards comes, dropping onto the stable roof. I glance at Freedom before clicking my tongue, and aid to get back in her kennel. She does.

I pet her coat before I turn back towards the castle and scale the walls until I am on Viviendels balcony.

Stashing her curtain back to its rightful place, I walk along the shadows into her room. Trying to sneak out swiftly.

But before I can walk to the door, Ea blocks the way. Talking to Viviendel.

"... You had an entire day to think up an excuse." Ea is saying.

"Okay," Viviendel replies. "Well, then I guess I was sad because I had to run today." She lies.

"See, an excuse."

"Don't you want to know the truth?" Viviendel asks.

I go back out onto the balcony and use the door to enter the castle.

Boring.