𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐍𝐄

𝗥ayne stared at Jury as she leaned against her table; they were made out of twelve

𝗥ayne stared at Jury as she leaned against her table; they were made out of twelve. There were an equal number of races, giving the trial a fair opportunity of going either way; there was no bias present. There were six women and seven men total. She felt confident – this case would be smoother due to such standards; if she was being honest, she thought Jonah or Carson would have bribed someone into making sure that wasn't the case, but nonetheless, she was thrilled.

Speaking of, she took another glance over at her father; he was staring at the Judge. She had no idea what to expect from him, but she was going to do everything in her power to downplay his ulterior motives – to slip past his manipulative behaviors.

The judge then hit the gavel on the table, silencing the crowd. Rayne looked over her shoulder at her friends; the four of them gave reassuring and comforting smiles back in her direction. She nodded and turned her head back towards the front of the room as she gratefully accepted their support.

"Without further ado, the Court is now in session. Mr. Miller, please proceed."

"Thank you, Your Honor," he replied, stepping out from behind his table, buttoning his jacket.

He approached the Jury with a file in his hand, sliding his free one across the banister as he walked. He stopped in the center and turned, facing the audience, "Before we dive into the direct evidence, I'd like to start from the beginning. That being – I took the liberty of pulling Mr. Torres's background check, dating back to ten years or so."

"Objection," Rayne said calmly, standing up, "I don't see the relevance, Your Honor. This is an obvious attempt to persuade the Jury that my client is a bad person."

"I can assure you that this is not what she is claiming," he added, "I believe that his background check holds valuable information pertaining to this case."

"Overruled. Miss. Miller, if Mr. Miller stays within relevance, he may continue."

"Thank you, Your Honor," he replied, throwing Rayne a snotty look.

She rolled her eyes and took her seat once more, still feeling confident and relaxed.

If he wants to play dirty, then let him.

"As I was saying – it's not a secret that Mr. Torres's and his family are the current holders of the Spanish Mafia, but how much exactly does the public," he turned to the box, "—and the Jury, actually know what happens behind the scenes and that which is hidden behind money? Mr. Torres has not only put multiple people in the hospital, but he has killed many people with zero repercussions. Don't you think," he spoke, leaning against the bar, "that someone who has previously killed – and gotten away with it – would have a rather easy time killing again?"

"Objection!" Rayne yelled this time, climbing to her feet again, standing firmly, "Mr. Miller is clearly withholding information that states every instance labeled in that document says my client has only taken lethal measures when he was displaying acts of self – defense."