𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝗧he ride from his house to his father's was quiet, but pleasantly not awkward

𝗧he ride from his house to his father's was quiet, but pleasantly not awkward. He was sitting in the driver's seat of his BMW, one hand hanging loosely on the bottom of the steering wheel, and the other propped up on his door. His index and middle fingers rested on his temple, holding his head up.

Something peaceful took hold of the silence between the two of them; it allowed him to think properly, but it also helped him get a feel for his new companion. Her energy had simmered dramatically since yesterday and since the run-in at the station earlier, giving him the opportunity to point out the differences in her attitude.

Tilting his head to the side, he caught a glimpse of her soft nature. The edge of her forehead was pressed to the glass and her eyes were glued to the surrounding area. Even from across the car he could see the infatuation of the world present in the color of her cheeks.

As he directed his attention back to the road, he let a small smile form on his face. It was surprising, as well as sad, that someone he just met two days ago could make him feel so calm. Being in her presence granted the both of them requited tranquility, but he couldn't help but wonder what she did previous to their meeting to ease her mind.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked, breaking the silence with his curiosity.

Rayne's head perked up as she gazed at him brightly. The radiant golden parts of her eyes looked into his as if he had been a trusted friend for the last ten years. With a smile taking hold of her features, he couldn't do anything more but suck in a deep breath and admire it.

What is this look for?

"I was thinking about how much I love being the passenger in car rides. They're ..." she paused as she stared out the windshield, "—freeing. We tend to think that this world is so big and so full of life, and sure, that's not wrong, but car rides show you how small it really is. With a little bit of speed, it opens doors to defy the world. With a foot to the gas pedal, everything becomes small—it zips by in a blur and makes me momentarily feel like I'm on top of it all."

Facing him again, she rested her arm along the window and held her head up by her wrist. A cheesy grin rested on her lips as she pressed against her cheeks, squishing them a bit. He had no idea how to respond to something so brilliantly altruistic; a simpleton like himself didn't have thoughts like these so frequently. He never gave himself the time to.

But Rayne—she was so refreshing.

Built up on optimism under layers of fake firewalls; it was beautiful.

"That's an insightful look on it," he finally came up with something.

"Yeah, I suppose."

After that, the conversation dwindled. They sat in silence once more, but it wasn't awkward, just like the first time. It was nice. Easy. Breathable.