𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

𝗦he stood silently on the Boardwalk as the day darkened into night with the fading sunset

𝗦he stood silently on the Boardwalk as the day darkened into night with the fading sunset. The usually busy – popular, tourist street was now abandoned and left to her disposal.

Willow flipped her orange – blonde, natural ginger colored hair over her shoulder as she subtly stared at the screen of her cell phone. It was almost time for her first meet up with the second partner in this effort to put her 'step – brother' behind bars. A burn in the pit of her stomach reminded her of her fears, but then again, her brain told her there was nothing to worry about. She was the most important part of the whole operation – nothing would happen to her.

Her phone screen went dark again as she turned it off. So much had happened within the last couple of weeks; most of the drama consisted during today's daylight hours, but still. Part of her thought she would never agree to the shit she's got herself involved in now – but most of her knew that was only because in the past, she was never given the opportunity.

Rueben needed a reality check, and fast. All he cares about are the people who are already gone. He never gave her a second look – never checked up on her. He never made her feel like family. And part of that may be because of their seven year age gap, but that shouldn't have mattered. It shouldn't have played the part it did in their relationship. Regardless, it was too late for him to redeem himself – he should have considered that when they were younger. When she was still innocent and naïve; able to fall for the slightest of hands.

"That's Willow. She's my stepsister, Beau's half-sister -- but to be honest, she's no family member of mine."

Willow exhaled angrily as she recalled the night he 'introduced' her to that snotty red – head lawyer of his. Everything that she was doing – everything that was about to happen, was all a result of Rueben's actions. She knew, even deep down, that there was nothing but hatred when she heard his stupid name. Payback was something he was owed and there was no one who was going to stop her from going through with that.

She looked up as the scuff of shoes against the pavement rang in her ears. The figure wasn't exactly what she expected to see – and of course, it was another man. Alas, she let a smile continue to cross her cheeks. The person before her was someone interesting, and his involvement was enigmatic. She knew who he was – he wasn't a sham to the public eye; a lot of people know of him. It made her revenge all the more seethe and boil in her lower abdomen. Her heartrate kicked up, and adrenaline filled her veins. There was no way Rueben wouldn't taste the bitterness of State Prison now.

He stopped a couple steps in front of her, "Willow, I presume."

"The one and only."

"How did it go at the station?" he asked immediately.

Guess he's not one for small talk.

"Perfectly," she smirked and crossed her arms, "—the trial begins in the couple days. I already texted the others, alongside you, letting you all know that everything was set in place. Since our meeting was the last thing on the agenda – and we just met – I don't think this meeting needs to go further than introductions," she pretended to yawn, giving her best nonchalant, 'professional' face, "Besides, a busy girl like me has way better things to do be doing than this."

Willow gasped loudly, taken aback as the hand of this new partner of hers slapped the middle of her left cheek. The blow was so forceful, it caused her to stumble to the side and drop to her knees. It was a blindsiding movement, and his actions confused her.

"I don't know who the fuck you think you think you're impressing by being a bratty little girl, but I promise you, it's not me," he spoke menacingly, towering over her, "This isn't a fucking game – it's real life, with real people, and real problems. Grow the fuck up or I'll have your position terminated. The faster you learn your place, the less you'll find yourself in such a pathetic, submissive position."

With that, he spit on the ground beside her and turned on his heel. He didn't look back once as he left her in the street.

She reached up and touched her cheek, wincing at the all – too – present sting.

Their reputation precedes them.