𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

"You're so slow Ray!" Matteo yelled, already five feet ahead of her

"That's 'cause you're not playing fair!" she yelled back, desperately trying to catch up with him, "—you've literally been cheating!"

"La la la! Can't hear you!" he teased.

Rayne frowned in anger and accelerated to the best of her ability, spotting Matteo already holding his knees, out of breath, by the swings. Annoyed that he broke the rules again, she lowered her shoulder and dove it right into her brother's left arm. Matteo fell to the ground, taking Rayne with him.

He broke the fall for her.

She laughed hard as she adjusted herself to sitting directly on his back, holding him to the ground. Matteo squirmed in pain underneath her.

"That was uncalled for," he groaned loudly.

"That's what you get for cheating," she replied matter – of – factly.

"Ugh! Let me up, loser!" he begged, still face down in the dirt, "you weigh a million pounds!"

"That was uncalled for," she repeated his words.

"Rayne! Up!"

"Fineeeee," she huffed, standing up.

"You're such a fattie," he proclaimed as he climbed back on two feet; he brushed the dirt off his shirt.

"What a lovely compliment from my younger brother," she clasped her hands together in sarcasm.

"By two minutes."

"But two minutes nonetheless," she stated, flicking the short strands of her bob haircut.

"If you keep being stupid, I'm not going to be nice and give you the good swing."

She gasped dramatically, "You wouldn't! That's the ultimate betrayal!"

"I would," he placed his hands on his hips, sticking his chin out.

She shoved him softly and rang over to the left swing, cursing in her head as she sat her butt down on the hot platform. Matteo laughed and joined her on the right swing.

"Mine," she declared, toeing the ground, and rocking back and forth.

"You're such a baby."

Rayne rolled her eyes and didn't offer him a reply. Instead, she kicked her feet harder against the grassy area and began to truly swing back and forth. Matteo did the same a couple minutes later; he moved back and forth at a slower pace.

They sat like that, in silence, for a while.

It was their thing. The thing they always did.

Rayne stared off into the distance at the rest of the abandoned park. It had been deserted and unused like this for as long as she could remember, but that's what made it great. It was like this place was made and placed here for them to escape to while their father was off at work.