𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

𝗦he stood at the bathroom sink, grinning to herself as she pulled a brush through her wet hair

𝗦he stood at the bathroom sink, grinning to herself as she pulled a brush through her wet hair. It was the morning of Rueben's trial – and aside from her disastrous personal life, she couldn't help but feel good. Her yellow – brown eyes gleamed back at her as she continued to smile at her reflection. She knew exactly what she was going up against; she knew all of Carson's tricks and easily understood how to navigate around his charismatic manipulation. She bit her lip, suppressing a breath of victory as she tightened her towel around her wet body.

"This shower is so cold without you," Christian said playfully.

She turned around and pretended to laugh. He had practically begged her to shower with him earlier, but she held her ground and said no. She played it off as not in the mood for what that actually meant – but in reality, she said no because even being near him clothed made her want to throw up.

Regardless, she had to stay focused on the events that were to happen today – so she told him he could shower after she was done. She hadn't realized he took that literally.

His face stayed sad as he applied shampoo to his hair, lathering it. She looked away and back at the mirror, where she let her façade of an expression drop.

"That sucks," she spoke.

As he dramatically groaned behind her, and she rolled her eyes – she tuned back into her earlier thoughts. Staring at her reflection one more time, she realized the true source of her good mood wasn't because of the trial. It wasn't having the ability to finally beat her father in something. It definitely wasn't Christian.

It was him.

Rueben.

The thought of seeing him today, dressed up and proper – made her stomach tingle, and simultaneously shoot anxiety through her neurons. When she thought of him, feelings she never felt, never experienced before, entered her mind space.

However, it wasn't long before her eyebrows twitched and she snapped out of her head. It annoyed her to be thinking of Rueben in that way – they were just friends. There was nothing there between the two of them. And it was horrible to be thinking of him in this way when her boyfriend was standing right behind her; it didn't matter that he was a soon – to – be – ex.

What's wrong with me?

She faced Christian once more, gripping the edge of the counter, forcing on another fake smile, "I'm gonna go get dressed, okay?"

He, in the middle of washing the soap out of his hair, nodded.

She breathed out and left the bathroom, still trying to understand where her head was at. There was no way what she felt towards her blonde companion was anything other than friendship.

We're just close. That's all.

Right ...?

****