𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

𝗛e twisted his body, slipping through the cars parked in the Courthouse parking lot

𝗛e twisted his body, slipping through the cars parked in the Courthouse parking lot. The wind shoved his hair into his face as he continued towards the designated meeting area. He wasn't exactly thrilled about it; they were to meet behind the dumpsters, and it smelled like shit. Still, with only thirty minutes to go before the trial begins – for the second time – he needed to make this quick.

Carson slowed his movements, casually slipping behind the ugly green container; he found his partner – or partners, waiting for him already. He scowled deeply.

"Carson," one of them said.

"What is he doing here?" he returned, interrupting him.

"Oh me?" the second one laughed, "—just felt like tagging along; see how everything's going."

"It's going fine. You can leave."

"God, shut the fuck up," the first one spoke, "You act like you're in charge but you're just another one of boss's pawns. You're below all of us."

Carson narrowed his eyes, looking into his partner's. They were both smug, young, and annoying. They thought they were the most untouchable things on this planet because of who they worked for; they thought they were slick because they've been getting away with their operation for years. It's like they forgot the only reason they were here was because of him.

"I'm bored, let's cut to the chase," the first one spoke, "Can you handle this shit or not?"

"Of course I can," he crossed his arms.

"Yeah, you better," the second one tested, "—is that girl ready?"

"Yes. She's waiting inside."

"Good. She's a piece of work; don't let her fuck this up."

The first one nodded, "Just make sure she does her part. You are responsible for her success and for her failure; if the latter happens, just know that you can kiss your life goodbye.

"I understand."

"Great," he clasped his hands together, "I'll see you later."

"Wait, that's it?"

"Yes," the first one rolled his eyes, "I'm going back to Spain. I have things to do."

"And what about him?" Carson pointed to his second partner.

"He's staying here. He works good from the inside – kind of like you," and with that, he turned and walked away, flipping his hood up and not offering another word.

He looked at his second partner, who was sneering at him. He hated him; he thought he was a bonehead, and a loose cannon ready to explode. No one here liked him – not even the unknowing parties like his daughter or the defendant.

"Don't fuck this up," Carson rolled his eyes and departed.

As he listened to the sound of his own footsteps, he released his breath. He knew that he was lower in the rankings compared to them, but at least he was experienced. He wasn't some psychotic brat, nor was he banging the boss. Both of them had advantages that gave them more power – it wasn't like they earned it. And it pissed him off. Without the sacrifices he made that night three years ago, they would be nowhere – nothing.

Neither of them would last much longer.

He'd make sure of that.

Carson pulled open the side door, walking in, recalling the girl he was responsible for.

This better go in her favor – in his.

She better not fuck this up, or it's me she's answering too.