𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘

𝗧he cold air of Madrid tickled his already cold nose; in an attempt to relieve some of the chill gathered around the edge, he cupped his hands together, encasing warm air from his mouth

𝗧he cold air of Madrid tickled his already cold nose; in an attempt to relieve some of the chill gathered around the edge, he cupped his hands together, encasing warm air from his mouth. The process worked for a couple of seconds before his boredom struck and his hands felt the same freezing nature his nose was.

Preferring a cold nose over cold hands, he pocketed one and placed the other on his half-finished cigarette; the nicotine mixed with his frostbitten, cloud breath.

On the days when he was allowed to stand outside, relax, and be left alone, he found himself cherishing the most. There was nothing more important – nothing that distinctively mattered more – than having the ability to be on patrol watch. It gave him a sense of solidarity – something that was often a defined privilege to a person of his nature.

The silence of the afternoon beckoned him, allowing him to escape his irrefutable existence, even if it was just for a second or two.

"Zo," his boss's voice came through the mic in his ear.

"Hm?" he answered.

"Give me an update."

He flicked the cig into the snow, crushing it beneath his foot.

So much for fucking peace and quiet.

"Everything's fine here."

"Excellent, can you do me a favor?"

He rolled his eyes, "Do I have a choice?"

"No."

"Then it's not really a fucking favor, is it?"

"Don't catch an attitude – this is what you wanted."

Standing upright and adjusting his earpiece, he knew that they were speaking the truth – the only reason why he was in his place right now was due to his prerogative. Ever since he was a child, his attention span had been limited, and so currently, with the one object that didn't disrupt his focused waves – he had no room to take it for granted.

Torturing him.

It brought him peace of mind; to break something he was supposed to be.

"I know."

"Good, then have Harrison take over your position. You're needed in the basement."

Of course, he was – of course, Harrison was too incompetent to do a simple fucking task.

It was clear that no one in this life or the next would be better at displeasing their guest more than himself, but even so, he wished he just had one person to take over when he needed a break.

After all – he was just one insignificant human.

"Yes, Boss," he snapped, "Be there soon."

Fucking morons.