𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

𝗧he short, ten-minute drive over to Dr

𝗧he short, ten-minute drive over to Dr. Jessica Black's office was done in silence. Auden sat passenger to him, not making a noise, hardly moving. She kept her head faced towards the window. He liked it like that, however. It gave him time to collect his thoughts without her nagging. As much as he enjoyed their partnership, he couldn't hide that she irritated him easily. Her smart mouth, obnoxious opinions and undiagnosed narcissism made it hard to be around her – but he gave her the benefit of the doubt. If he looked past all of that, he knew she was one hell of a police officer.

He pulled into the forensic building parking lot and grabbed one of the front spots. A part of him felt nervous. There was a chance that the toxicology would come back in not his favor. He could have been wrong about this the entire time. He couldn't tell his nervousness stemmed from his pride and the fear of being wrong – or if he was right, and Lilliana's sibling killed her.

Jonah shook his head, trying to get rid of such thoughts as he climbed out of his car.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me," Auden spoke, breaking her silence.

He looked over as she slammed her door closed, "What?"

"Look," she scowled, pointing at one of the other two cars in the lot. He felt his eyebrows furrow in annoyance as he recognized the silver Mustang. How the fuck does he know before us.

He shot Auden a similar look – the first time, possible coincidence, but now? – it seemed suspicious that he beat them to results every time. Especially because everything was supposed to go through him, the chief of police. So, the question remains, how does he always know?

The two of them entered the building heading straight for the lab room. A simple flash of their badges granted them immunity and access to the entire place without a word spoken. He could feel the tension between Auden and our unwanted friend besides him. He had noticed that he'd made multiple moves towards her, the same as he did to Rueben's lawyer – Rayne Miller. He didn't blame her for hating him – hell, he hated him too.

If it was up to me – he wouldn't be employed.

The silver, double doors swung open widely with one push. The smug bastard was sitting on the corner of the scientist's desk. He seemed pleased to see the two of them, their expressions half – perplexed, half – angered. Alas, the closer he looked, the more comfortable the doctor looked with him. It was the same as it had been with Clarke. There was no tension, no cause for concern.

At least to someone else. In my eyes, he's hardly our partner.

"What are you doing here?" Auden asked besides him, crossing her arms.

"Are we going to go over this every time we run into each other, love?" he chuckled, "—I am the lead detective on the Torres case, last I checked."

"You're not the leader of anything," Jonah snapped, taking a step closer, "You work by and for me. You have zero place to command your own actions. You have zero place to go above me."