Shift Back

Adelaide

"Are you ready?" Roman asks as I stand in the bedroom leaning over the desk signing papers for Kieran. I look up quickly where he is in the closet finding his clothes.

He worries, it's the big day, my wolf knows we are ready but of course that doesn't stop Roman from freaking himself out. Hadley has been watching all of my progress the entire time, I trust Hadley with my life. She is an amazing doctor, which Roman knows but it doesn't stop him from questioning my health and safety at all times. His "job".

I wonder how much he cares for my safety after he almost broke my jaw the other day. I couldn't talk the next day and Kieran was worried I'd developed some sickness. I couldn't tell anyone though, I'm sure it's normal for a mate to reprimand their mate in that way. It was a punishment, I was never supposed to like it.

"Yes." I respond coolly, I have to finish these papers. Roman takes the answer with a grain of salt, but he returns to his task just the same. The man fears too much for my safety. I was thinking too much about him possibly just wanting a mate that can shift. A mate that can be healthy, like otherwise I'd be a disappointment to The Crown. "I want to talk to you about the prison reforms at some point today or soon Roman."

"That can wait doll. I don't think I agree, I think all of the prisons in the packs have enough rules." Roman calls back making me frustrated. After all, he can see every bit of my history and how I was treated. The prisons need the reform, the Summit needs to regulate it.

Come to think of it, he can and has seen so much of my past from dreams I have and nightmares that plague me in the night. He sleeps through them, he never comments on it. Not once has he asked or said anything about those 'lost years' when he couldn't stalk me. I wonder if it so I can work through it all on my own.

I should talk to Kieran about the changes. When you're this close to the highest people in the nation you know which ones make the decisions on what. Acer controls trade and agriculture. Menial expenditure accounts. Kieran handles all the codes of conduct, the way the military works, he controls the drafting of what has been agreed upon in session with the Elders. Kieran does a lot of the heavy lifting. If I still want this to go through and go through without Roman's comments, I go to Kieran.

I finish the paperwork leaving a note about the prison reforms on there and link Kieran to come take them away before I go to the forest with Hadley and Roman. The waiting now is what makes me nervous, I have spent plenty of time pushing it off and busying myself. Finally, my nerves set in though about the act itself. The risk of my permanent shift could be high if we aren't careful and Hadley has pushed it off so that she's confident but it hasn't made me anymore confident.

A knock at the door has me rushing to answer. Kieran stood on the other side looking normal, not nervous as Roman has all morning. "File?" He asks and I shoot it out against his chest which leads to him laughing. "You nervous there Addi?"

"No. I'm ready. I've waited so so long." I admit with a sigh leaning against the wall next to the door. "I want you to look over a small report I slid behind the file. It's about the prison reforms."

"Okay, of course I'll take a look." Kieran shuffles his files and looks at the back one with my sticky note on it. "You know if I were you I'd be extremely nervous. I think I'd die if I were the mate of you as well."

"Don't say that too loud, Roman might hear you. He has been freaking out all morning." I look around carefully taking a step out of the door pulling it gently shut behind me. Roman doesn't need to get himself worked up about any of our conversations.

"You guys just recently mated Addi, he's bound to be far more worried." Kieran laughs at our expense and like Roman has amazing hearing... which he does... he shows up out of nowhere ripping open the door from behind me. I almost told Kieran about his worry for my interactions with other males but I can't do that with Roman here.