Kennedy

Adelaide

"Let's take off." Roman pulls my hand gently tearing me away from a very enthralling conversation with the elders. "They can wait."

"Roman this is a party for the people." I remind him gently but he shakes his head continuing to pull me away. The loud laughter and chatter fills the outdoor celebration covering their conversation.

"Exactly, not for us. What's a little time away with your mate? We can come back." Roman pulls a bit harder on my hand like an impatient child. Definitely a Royal baby. This party is about us for the people, so we should be present.

"Where are we going?" I let him cart me off into the corner where we disappear into the forest. I stopped thinking it would be useful to argue with the man, what he says goes. He gives me no answer but simply leads me through the darkness in my gown. I don't pay attention to the sticks and pointy things on the forest floor, they don't bother me even if they stab at my feet.

The forest opens to the clearing he found me staring at the stars in. I smile remembering how mad I was at my wolf for stalking the King all that day. Kennedy was glued to his hip and somehow he shook her and found me.

"You do remember." He muses acknowledging the smile he watches spread across my face. I take the chance to stare at the stars just feeling myself in my element. He knows I remember, he can see what plays in my head. I let my guard drop just as soon as it was the two of us alone.

"Ah Kennedy." He sighs out I'm assuming at the memory of her constantly following him around like a lap dog.

Roman's hands caress my shoulders gently letting me know that he's there. The silence is something we revel in. His hands trace back to the lacings of the dress pulling them so the dress loosens and slips from my shoulders.

"You really want to do that here?" I ask turning around quickly. He chuckles shaking his head gently but pulling me close by the hips. One hand gently holds the back of my head pulling me in for a tender kiss.

"Shift." He pulls back and takes a couple more steps taking off his bow and suit. I nod and shift quickly, being especially careful not to press my paws on the white dress. Without another beat both of us take off into a run feeling the nice breeze from the lake bush our coats.

We weave through the trees, but we remain close with one another. We don't stray from the lake much either, we use it to be our guide.

Roman brushes his body against mine which makes my wolf purr and continue to chase him down. He is fast despite the size of his wolf he is speedy whereas my wolf is much more agile and smaller.

It is as we get nearer to the border of the Royal pack and Cruelcrest pack border when we smell it. A recent kill. A wolf Kill. A pack blood kill. Without much more forethought I take my wolf down through a close pine needle path. The King is hot on my trail just as nervous as I. He is slower because of his size but he's still faster than expected.

At the end of the path is the most horrifying scene. A girl, maybe early 20's, facing away and half on her stomach in a comfortable looking resting position. Her baby pink dress stained dark with red signifying that she is the source of the smell.

Roman was slower than I was getting around her, but when I did my gut wrenched. I knew exactly who this wolf is, or was despite the grotesque scene. Kennedy's arms were deliberately placed over her stomach. Except her abdomen was open for all to see, her hands "holding" in her organs. A message written in parchment and pinned to her by the knife in her throat read, "Coming -Dad".

My heart stops, my stomach drops, and my veins run cold. Her eyes are still, staring at me with an unwavering hatred that she will always carry for me. Her face didn't hold horror, she was completely unaware of her condition. Eyes I had hated now eyes that will forever haunt me.