Help - Ch.1

Cling, cling

The sound of the knife touching the plate rang around the small house. It was the only thing breaking the silence between the 3 of them. "We love you" Ellen Jean Granger told. "I know" Hermione Granger, her daughter, replied dryly. Ellen Jean Granger stood up and took her plate to the sink. "We'll be home before sunrise. Don't stay up too late" Patrick Granger said, kissing the top of Hermione's head as he passed.

His daughter didn't look up, continuing to stare at the steak in her plate. She heard them mumble a good bye before they opened the front door. After hearing the door close, Hermione sighed. She got up and went to her room, leaving the steak forgotten. Sitting at the foot of her bed, she stared at the daily prophet, rereading the words for the thousandth time.

In memory of all:
Lily Evans
James Potter
Albus Dumbledore
Alastor 'Mad-eye' Moody
Remus Lupin
Severus Snape
Sirius Black
Nymphadora Tonks

Her heart broke with every name that followed. There was dozens of familiar names. At the end of the list, it read 'these are only the confirmed deaths of the war, May the others rest in peace'. Hermione felt a tear slip down her cheek, rereading the first 8 names. Lupin and Tonks hurt the most. Teddy was left in the hands of Molly and Arthur, who were still mourning over the loss of their companions and friends. She glanced behind her, at all the photos she had hung on her wall. Each one had its own backstory, and she couldn't quite get over the fact that these people were gone. The only photo on her night stand made a difference. Her, Harry, Ron and Ginny. 5th year, after a D.A. meeting. It was one of their last ones before they were caught. Shaking her head as she heard something outside, she wiped her tears and got up. She hid the paper in her side drawer before looking out the window.

No one.

She closed the window, and the curtains, her door right after. She turned off the lights and peaked through the curtains. No one. Developing a paranoia from the war, she sat in her bed as she magically sealed her door and windows shut. She hid under the covers, her back to the wall. She waited, listening for any other strange noises. It's probably nothing, she thought, closing her eyes. She couldn't shrug off the feeling however, so she stayed awake. Wanting to distract herself, she grabbed one of her favourite childhood books and muttered "lumos" as she put her wand beside her book. Only 2 pages in, she heard another sound, louder than the other. Now she was sure she wasn't imagining.

She got up, saying "nox" as she put her book back on the shelf. She peaked out the window, her heart dropping when she saw two people walking down the street. They wore ordinary Muggle clothing, their hair moving with the wind as they walked. She continued to wait, wondering if they'd do anything. They walked over to the house across the street and walked in, assuring her that they were indeed muggles. Hermione was unable to sleep, what if death eaters were surrounding the house? Maybe they'll get her now that she's alone? Her thoughts faded as she heard another noise. This time it was a voice. "Shh"She heard. She grabbed her wand quickly, silently sliding under her bed. She hid in the corner, her wand in front of her.

A minute passed. Than another. The house was silent, not even the sound of a cricket. She closed her eyes, listening carefully. "are you sure this is the right house?" A voice came from the living room. Her heart sunk, they were out to get her. "Shut up, I know what I'm doing" another voice snarled. She heard footsteps near her room but the first voice spoke again.

"Check the rest of the house first"They said. The footsteps went further away and once she was sure they were on the second floor, she got up. She muttered as much locking charms as she could before the footsteps were coming down the stairs. Hiding again, she tried to find out how much people were in the house. 2 she was sure of, but there was more than only 4 steps. At least 4 people, she decided. She waited, waited for any sudden movement to indicate that they were at the door.

Than she heard her doorknob turn, and a body hit the floor. She was relieved her spell had worked, they aren't able to touch the door without being knocked back. "Idiot, I told you this was the right house"Someone said. What she wasn't prepared for was the door to be blasted to pieces. Her hand snapped to her mouth, trying not to make a sound as wood flew around her bed.

They walked in, one after the other. 4 people, she was right. "What a creep"She heard as someone stood at the foot of her bed, most likely staring at the photos. "Stop fooling around, check the room and find her" Another voice snapped. "She's obsessed with Gryffindorks, eww"A new voice muttered. Hermione grabbed her wand, she didn't understand what was happening. She couldn't say any type of spell, the light from her wand would betray her.

Hermione waited for them to leave, hearing them go through her closets and drawers. "Check the bathroom, and under the bed" The first voice demanded. 'No no no no no', she thought, her heart racing. She saw someone step close to her bed, a smell of spearmint leaking from them. They took another step forward and as they kneeled down, she shot a spell at their ankle, causing them to fall.

"Under the bed!" They snapped, holding onto their ankle as it swelled up. She couldn't see who it was, they were wearing a mask. As the other 3 surrounded the bed, she shot the exact spell at each of them. "Reducto!" Hermione heard, before her bed blew up into pieces. "Petrificus Totalus!" She snapped. Their heads hit the floor, the spell hitting them in the stomach. She ran out of the room before apparating away.

~

After healing himself, he stared at the spot where she was previously. Healing the others, he stood. "That can't be her"He mumbled. "It has to be, she's the only witch in the area" His partner said. "Clean everything up, we'll come back tomorrow morning" The partner added.

~

Hermione ran into the burrow, locking the door behind her. "Who's there!"She heard from the living room. "Me"She mumbled, sliding down the door onto the floor. Ginny entered the kitchen, and gasped when she saw the blood on Hermione's cheek. "Are you alright! What happened?"Ginny questioned, rushing toward her. Hermione didn't speak, her hands covering her ears as she closed her eyes. She could barely hear Ginny calling for her mother and siblings.

Molly rushed into the kitchen, the first aid kit in her hand. Ron came as well, helping Ginny to get Hermione to stand up. They sat her in the living room on a chair as Molly cleaned up the scratch on Hermione's cheek. After 5 minutes, Ginny finally got Hermione to speak.

"They broke in, they blew my room up, they're trying to get me"She mumbled, trembling. "Who, Hermione, who?"Ginny asked. "I don't know"She muttered. "Ron get her a blanket" Molly told. Hermione was given a blanket and Ginny led her to her room. "She'll talk in the morning"Molly had said.

~

They waited outside, hiding in the bushes across the house. "She's expecting us, we shouldn't be here. The ministry will probably arrive soon" He said. "I don't care, we're doing things that the ministry couldn't. I'm getting my sister back"His partner snarled.