xxix. my brooklyn baby

it was a small ceremony

not small as in only family and friends like the big named celebrities do. small as in no more than three people came to see you lay to rest. it was just the same as when if you grew up, small and lonely.

the eulogist spoke some words about you, gathering all the information that wanda, pietro, and bucky could write down on one paper.

describing your life, your goals, your dreams, your accomplishments.

everything.

bucky felt out of place. feeling like only pietro and wanda should be there as they have been friends since forever, but wanda insisted, knowing that you made him happy and bucky made you happy.

it's not like you planned for your funeral to be this big gigantic breathtaking event that winona ryder would just show up and send you off with some poetic words. no, you didn't even know this day would come-----you knew you were gonna die, but you weren't ready.

pietro was the first one to hear the news as bucky called him from the hospital.

pietro was a man who never cried, he remembered when he was younger he would, but in the past years, he found himself not crying. but when bucky told him everything, he was first in disbelief, repeating, "no, she's not dead, she can't be," denying it like if he said it enough, then it would be true.

his voice started cracking as he kept going, his disbelief falling through its cracks. pietro finally broke down, screaming at the top of his lungs, all that built of guilt from
the past coming back in a hailstorm as he heard he lost his best friend.

he started blaming himself, as he thought, 'maybe i shouldn't have sold her this drug' or 'maybe i should've stopped her a long time ago.' but there was no use to it.

you were dead. he couldn't bring you back.

pietro hung up abruptly as he dropped to floor, the phone crashing down with him. sobbing, curled up to a ball and wishing that this wasn't true and that he would wake up from this horrible nightmare.