xv. goodbye, james

WARNING — lots of strong language

the sound of the teapot kettle whistled as the trickling sound of the rain rang the town

the sound of the teapot kettle whistled as the trickling sound of the rain rang the town. the silence of the white home was evident. making all and any movement louder than usual, like an asmr video. the smell of the rain trickled in as you kept a window open. the sweet smell of moss and coins filled your nose as the vanilla smell mixed with all of it. it was like a warm feeling, never really hitting a boiling temperature.

you loved that rain, the stillness, and calm of it all. it brought you back to "better" days. when all the noise and mess in the background happened. you would find yourself looking to the rain to find yourself silence, shutting the loudness out, and keeping yourself in a mental state that you were okay with.

bucky was sitting on the dining table, his eye deep into his book. the crisp edges feel sharp in-between his fingers. bucky never really caught onto his hobbies, like reading or cooking. his dad declared it as girly or not man-like, which was fucking stupid. he hated the old man for that, pushing ridiculous stereotypes on him and his sister.

you poured the hot water from the teapot into the cup, the teabag steaming up and puffing as you watch it hiss the herbs into the water. you sighed, looking at bucky.

his eyes were still on his book, scanning it like a machine. he looked determined, focused, maybe even stressed, and just working it out on the book.

he rose his head up, catching your eye contact. you quickly looked back down, slightly embarrassed. you felt some awkward tension with bucky after seeing that. and bucky sensed it too.

he didn't know what was wrong, and he wanted to figure it out, but every time he asked, you said along the lines, 'no, i'm fine, barnes.' with a smile just to prove it to him.

but he knew something was up.

you grabbed some lemons off the counter, picking up the knife from the side. you took a deep breath, feeling your mind push away from the box, focusing on the now rather than the then.