2019, Jun 12 - Jungkook (At The Beach)

[Places: Road, train station, the beach / sea]

The sun was still beating down when we arrived at the train station by the sea. Our shadows were almost invisible, hovering around our feet. There was nowhere to hide from the sun. I thought I heard the roar of waves, and soon a stretch of beautiful sandy beach unfolded before our eyes.

It was just the beginning of the summer. Early vacationers were already perched under parasols. There is something about the sea that makes me well up with emotions.

Taehyung-ie hyung and Hoseok hyung yelled out in excitement and dashed ahead. As they beckoned, Jimin hyung and Seokjin hyung joined them. They called out to me. "Jungkook-ah!"

I waved at them and smiled joyfully. Or, I smiled to pretend that I was joyful.

I was still clumsy at revealing my feelings and adapting to strange environments. Someone once told me that I acted like a timid, intimidated child. It was the same that day. I felt a bit ill at ease in the presence of the others, like I didn't belong there.

There wasn't much to do on the beach, our impulsive destination.

"Let's race." Hoseok hyung suggested suddenly and ran ahead.

Everyone else gave chase but soon gave up. It was too hot. Namjoon hyung brought a torn parasol he found somewhere. All seven of us lay down under the parasol. Sunlight passed through the tears in the parasol. Round spots of sunlight continued to move bit by bit, and we wriggled to dodge them.

 "Do you want to go see this rock?" Hoseok hyung held up his phone. There was a photo of a large rock on a beach. “They say, if you yell out your dream towards the sea while standing on this rock, it will come true."

Jimin hyung took the phone and looked at the photo. "Isn't it a bit far? It's at least 3.5km from here."

Yoongi hyung rolled over. "I'm not going. I don't have any dream in the first place. Even if I did, I wouldn't walk 3.5km in this heat… No way."

Taehyung-ie hyung sprang to his feet. “I’m going."

We began to walk under the torn parasol. The sandy beach was burning under the scorching sun, and the air was so hot that we could barely breathe. We marched on the heat like stragglers, with our feet sinking into the burning sand. Hoseok hyung attempted to make jokes, but no one responded. Taehyung-ie hyung dropped down to the ground and declared he was giving up. Namjoon hyung picked him up to his feet again and gave him a push on the back. All our faces were bright red and dripping with sweat. We tried fanning ourselves with the hem of our t-shirts, but it only blasted us with more hot air. Nevertheless, we kept moving forward.

Sometime before, I'd asked the others what their dreams were. Seokjin hyung said he dreamed of becoming a good person. Yoongi hyung said it was OK to have no dream. Hoseok hyung just wished to be happy. And Namjoon hyung-- What did he tell us? I can't recall, but it was nothing special. Basically, none of us had a dream to pursue. So, why were we walking along with this hot beach under the scorching sun to get to some rock 3.5km away, which supposedly makes dreams come true?

Along the way, we threw off the parasol that Namjoon hyung, Hoseok hyung, and Seokjin hyung had taken turns holding. It did block the sun a little, but it was just too heavy with its steel handle.

"Stop doing that." That's what Yoongi hyung said to me while we were taking a short break after ditching the parasol. At first, I was puzzled. In fact, I rarely talked with Yoongi hyung and didn't even realize he was talking to me. Yoongi hyung showed me his fingers. "They'll become like mine." He also had raw cuticles from biting his nails. I hesitantly put my hands into my pockets. I didn't respond because I didn't know what to say. "What's your dream?" Yoongi hyung asked. "You didn't tell us yours." He didn't seem genuinely interested in my answer. He just seemed to be asking to keep the conversation going.