2020, Jul 17 - Seokjin (My Last Summer With Them)

[Place: School]

The shrill whine of cicadas hit my ears as soon I stepped out of the school building. The playground was full of students laughing, playing, and racing around. It was the beginning of the summer vacation, and everyone was excited. I wove my way quickly through the crowd with my head down. All I wanted was to get out of there.

"Hyung!" Someone's shadow bumped into my path, and I hastily raised my head. It was Hoseok and Jimin. They were smiling their big, kind-hearted smiles as always and looked at me with mischievous eyes. "You're not going straight home on the first day of vacation, are you?" Hoseok said, tugging at my arm.

I muttered something that sounded like "yes" and turned my head away.

What had happened that day was an accident. I didn't mean for it to happen. I didn't think Jungkook and Yoongi would be there in the classroom-turned-storage room at that hour. The principal was suspecting that I was covering for the others. He threatened to tell abeoji how bad I was doing at school. I thought it would be empty. But it led to Yoongi getting expelled. No one knew I was mixed up in it.

"Have a good vacation! Let's keep in touch."

Hoseok must have read my face. He slowly let go of my hand and said goodbye even more brightly.

I couldn't reply. There was nothing I could say. My first day at this school crossed my mind as I passed through the school gate. We were late and got punished. But we were together, so we could laugh together. I had ruined all those memories we shared. After I decided to live like abeoji wanted me to, after I made up my mind no to chase happiness, I had bitten off more than I could chew.