2012, Jul 21 - Seokjin (Flight To America)

Their ages at this year:
12 y.o - Seokjin
11 y.o - Yoongi
10 y.o - Hoseok & Namjoon
9 y.o - Jimin & Taehyung
7 y.o - Jungkook

***

[Places: Airport, airplane]

The entrance door kept opening and closing. I kept staring at it, sitting in the airport waiting room. People with suitcases passed by, some wearing sunglasses. The electronic display board continued to change with arrivals, delays, and cancellations.

The driver was murmuring with his eyes fixed on his cell phone. "No word from him yet."

I looked down at my watch. It was more than an hour past the time that abeoji promised he'd arrive.

As long as I could remember, I was always by myself. Abeoji was busy and eommeoni was indifferent. They told me to do what I was told and not to try anything else. When I disobeyed, they scolded me with silence. I wanted to please my parents. Eommeoni di*ed not so long ago. Abeoji told me not to cry and didn't cry himself. I tried to obey him, but it wasn't easy. He decided to send me to my *halmoni in the U.S. and didn't seem very sad about it.

(A/N: *his mom's mother.)

Abeoji's driver handed me my passport. It was time to leave. I looked back as I headed for the departure gate. The entrance door closed. The driver waved at me. The airplane finally began to speed down the runway. Abeoji didn't come.

I looked out at the tiny window by my seat. Clouds passed by, and the sky turned pitch black. The flight attendant brought me a meal, and the juice cup fell when we hit turbulence. Flustered, I asked for some napkins. The flight attendant asked me if I was okay. My fried rice and meat were soaked in juice. My hands were sticky and my pants were all wet. "No," I whispered back, but the flight attendant didn't seem to hear.

She said not to worry as she took away my tray. I nodded and kept looking down at the floor.