30

"I'm here to see John B Routledge." JJ yelled to the police officer over his music that was blasting through the headphones sitting on top of his head. "No music, and get rid of the toothpick." The cop spoke, JJ's music muffling his voice. "I can't hearwhat you're saying, man, all right? These things are on full blast. That's what I said.I'm here to see John B Routledge." JJ repeated, watching as the cop motioned to his headphones and the toothpick that JJ was chewing on.

"Wait, the music?" JJ squinted, tapping his headphones as the cop nodding, JJ letting out a "ohhh." as he removed the headphones, resting them on the back of his neck. "I mean, I thoughtit was a free country and all, but, uh, I guess you don't like freedom very much,now do you, cupcake?" JJ smirked, swirling his finger around in the air to motion at the prison, getting into the cops face, JJ letting out a gasp when he was pushed up against the wall.

"Ah, not worth it." A woman's voice filled the hallway, JJ turning his head to see officer Plumb approaching him. "Good to see you, Plumb.Nice to have something in your mouth, you know?" JJ chewed on his lip as he threw the toothpick to the ground. "Take off your hat and empty your pockets." Plumb squinted at JJ, who let out a "Yes ma'am."

Once they checked that JJ has nothing on him, they walked him down the hall. "Five minutes." Plumb spoke, JJ eyeing her up and down before entering the room and sitting across from John B, both laughing as they made eye contact. "I thought it was gonna be me again." JJ chuckled, John B nodding at him. 

"Welcome to my humble abode." John B smirked as JJ looked around the room. "Yeah, when you saidyou had a new apartment, I had no idea. It's cozy." JJ joked around, tapping at the metal table. "A little aluminum theme." JJ added, pressing his lips in a flat line.

"Yeah. I like to go for the cold, dark..." John B huffed. "Alone kinda theme." JJ finished his sentence, John B nodding. "How's y/n?" John B asked JJ, noticing the ring that once occupied y/n's finger that was now back on JJ's hand, JJ gnawed on the inside of his cheek at the mention of her name. 

"She doesn't want me anymore." JJ mumbled, fiddling with his fingers. 

"JJ, I don't think-"

"Look, I would love to sit and chitchat,but I'm on the clock." JJ cut John B off, not wanting to talk about what had happened. "And I'm here for one reason only, okay? Operation liberation, baby." JJ spoke, John B rolling his eyes and letting out a sigh. "Hear me out, though. Hear me out. Step one, piss off the cops so badlythey don't see what's coming." JJ explained, holding up the peace sign to one of the guards that walked past the window, giving JJ a glare.

"Check." JJ sniffled. "Step two, at exactly 11 p.m. this evening, you're going to havean attack of acute appendicitis." JJ continued, John B furrowing his brows at his friend. "Do you even know what appendicitis is?" John B asked, JJ's head ticking slightly. "Remember eighth grade? Algebra final? Worked like a charm, okay? Now, to sell it, you gottaactually look sick, though, okay? You gotsome of that ghost face sunblock in here?"

"JJ, I'm in jail.I have a block of soap." John B huffed, JJ nodding slightly. "Perfect. That'll work. Take some of that.Rub it into your face well, okay? You don't want that shit rubbing offwhen they check your vitals. After that, run your handsunder cold water for five minutes. After that, you're ready. Showtime, baby." JJ grinned, leaning back slightly.

"Stumble out and collapse, okay? Once you're down on the ground squealing,they'll rush you to the infirmary. You just gotta convince the nursethat that sucker's about to burst. She's gonna take her hand," JJ mumbled, placing his hand on his stomach. "And she's gonna put itright here, okay? Right there. When she pushes down, don't do anything. It's when she takes her hand offthat you let it rip, man." 

"Okay, I get it. I get it. Then what?" John B huffed out, JJ's smirk growing as his dimple started to show. "They're gonna eject you to the hospital.Remember Cousin Ricky? He's an EMT. Step three is extraction." JJ finished, his fingers linking together.

"This is the dumbest freaking ideayou've ever had." John B muttered, eyeing his friend who shrugged. "Yeah, you're probably right,but you know what's even more dumb? You thinking you gotany other way out of this." JJ stated, clenching his jaw as the door to the room opened. 

Y/n was laid on her bed scrolling through her phone before she let out a huff, dropping her phone to her chest and looking out the window to see the dark night sky. She hadn't seen JJ in about a week and it took everything in her to not text him to see if he was okay.

Y/n picked up her phone again, staring at the lock screen, a photo Kie had taken of them as they sat on the couch, legs intertwined as they laughed at something JJ had said. She had been meaning to change it, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. 

"Y/n! Y/n!" Kie and Pope called out, both rushing into the room as she sat up to look at them. "We gotta go, JJ's in trouble!" Kie exclaimed as y/n's eyes widened as she shot out of the bed, grabbing her shoes that were at the foot of the bed before they ran to Kie's car.

"What the fuck has he done this time?" Y/n huffed through clenched teeth, tying her laces as Kie sped towards the location JJ had sent her. Y/n's heart dropped as she saw the ambulance and three cop cars behind it. Kie slammed on her breaks in front of the ambulance, making it stop just a few inches away from hitting the car, the police cars zooming past.

"Get out of the way! Get out of the way!" The man driving the ambulance yelled. "Sorry! I'm so sorry! I just got my license!" Kie shouted sympathetically as y/n spotted JJ running from the ambulance as Kie drove off to go to the other side of the block to meet him.

Y/n leaned over and opened the door as JJ jump in the car, shutting the door as he did so, Kie driving off as he leaned back against the seat, his head thrown back as he heaved for air. hands gripping the head rest in front of him as y/n stared in shock.

"I'm seriously not gonna ask!" Kie scolded as she turned around a corner. "Look, I busted the wrong guy outta jail, sue me. At least I was trying." JJ panted, running his fingers through his hair. "Why are you always doing such stupid shit?" Kie huffed, glaring at him.

"Well, I'm gonna end upin jail anyway, so- so why does it matter?" JJ mumbled, turning his head to look at y/n briefly, and she had felt the guilt of what she had said hit her in the heart. "JJ..." She whispered, her eyes going soft as she looked at him. "Are you okay, man?" Pope asked him.

"Yeah." JJ blinked, leaning his head against the window. "Just a doozy of a day." Once they arrived back at the chateau, JJ was the first to stumble out of the car, wanting to avoid y/n, but she was hot on his trail, calling out for him, which he ignored until she grabbed his hand, causing him to spin around to look at her.

"What do you want?" JJ frowned, looking at the tree behind her, he couldn't stand to look at her for too long. "I'm sorry J, I'm sorry I said those things. I was just angry, I didn't mean for-"

"Why do you care?" JJ cut her off, shaking her hand off his as he clenched his jaw, looking down at her. "JJ-" "No! Why the fuck do you care? I have had everyone my entire life tell me that I was gonna be just like my father, and you were the only one who said I was different, up until a week and a half ago. So tell me. Why the fuck do you suddenly care now? Why do you care so much if I'm like him?" JJ barked, his voice cracking towards the end as they looked at each other with teary eyes.

"Because I love you, JJ!" Y/n exclaimed, her hands turning into fists as JJ let out a sad laugh. "No, that's just it. You shouldn't love me, not after what I did to you." JJ tried to keep his chin from quivering as he took a step back, tears threatening to spill from his eyes.

"You cannot tell me to not love you, JJ. Why don't you understand that?" Y/n fought back, the tears already streaming down her face.

"Because I'm not enough, y/n. I touched you in a way you shouldn't be touched!" JJ cried out, a tear slipping from his eyes. "I'm not enough for you, I'm JJ Maybank, a fucking criminal who can barely afford shit! And I'm scared! I'm scared to fucking death that I'm going to hurt you again. So, no, you shouldn't love me. Just let me go." JJ sobbed, turning on his heel as he stormed inside.