26

Y/n tapped the back of her pencil against her test paper, reading a question that she tried to remember the answer of, peering over to JJ who was running his fingers through his hair, regretting sleeping in almost every class. 

"Mr. Sunn, can I borrow Pope for a minute?" A man spoke, as he held the classroom door open, everyone looking up at the man. "I'm from the Vanderhorst Foundation." The man whispered to the teacher who nodded, motioning for Pope to go to the man, following him outside as the pogues looked at each other in confusion.

It only took a few minutes before Pope rushed back in the class, shock on his face and his eyes widened as he sat back down, holding up the envelope for his friends to see. "Is that the wheat symbol?" Kie gasped, JJ squinting to get a better look.

"What the f-fu-fudge?" JJ exclaimed, Mr. Sunn giving him a threatening look before JJ let out a breath and looked back down at his paper. The pogues twitched anxiously, waiting for the bell to ring and when it did, they followed Pope who was in a rush to get to the library. "Is this a game of tag? Am I gonna have to beat youwith your protractor? What's going on?" JJ called out to Pope, the librarian shushing him as he apologized, taking off his hat and sitting with Pope.

"Read it." Pope whispered to JJ who snatched the envelope out of Pope's hand, pulling out the letter. They waited for JJ to speak as he looked up at y/n, his eyes soft. "I can't read cursive." He whispered, y/n giving him a soft smile before she took the letter from his hands.

"Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidencethat can exonerate John B. Routledge. It is of vital importancethat you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King Street,Charleston at 8:00 p.m. sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards, C. Limbrey." Y/n read, handing the letter to Kie who's eyes skimmed over it. 

"It's like an eight-hour driveplus the ferry. How will we get there tonight?" Pope huffed, pacing the library. 

"We'd have to leave right now." JJ whispered. "Material evidence"? What doesthat even mean, "material evidence"?" JJ muttered to himself. 

"It means he can clear John B." Y/n answered, sitting on the edge of the table. "Oh shit, then we're going to Charleston." JJ shrugged, speaking a bit too loud and getting the attention of the librarian. 

"I gotta tell my mom. Look, if we get it this time,we are not giving it to Shoupe." Kie sighed, everyone agreeing with her before they ran out of the school and going to Heyward's, the closest to the school, Pope grabbing the keys to his dad's old truck and driving to Kie's so she could tell her parents where she was going.

"I think I'm rubbing off on you, Pope." JJ chuckled from the back seat of the truck. "Lying to your old man, stealing his truck. Kinda sounds familiar."

"I'd say we have about 18 hoursbefore he absolutely loses his shit. So as long as we get it backbefore then, I think we're good." Pope pressed his lips into a flat line as they watched Kie arguing with her parents before getting in the car, JJ giving her parents a sarcastic wave with a smug smile as they drove off and got onto the ferry.

They all sat in the open back of the truck, except Pope, the wind blowing through their hair as JJ lit a blunt, his arm wrapping around y/n's shoulders, who took a puff of the joint, handing it to Kie, who also inhaled the smoke before offering it to Pope. "What Pope are you gonna be today?" Kie asked him as he eyed the joint before looking away. "Good Pope. Boring Pope." Kie mumbled, leaning back slightly.

Y/n's eye's widened when she felt JJ's hand trail up to her collarbone, tracing his finger around the hickey he had left last night. Looking up at him, he smiled at her and leaned down to kiss her. As soon as she parted her lips, he breathed whatever smoke he had in his lungs into her mouth, her head snapping back as she coughed softly, not expecting it, JJ letting out a small chuckle.