20

It had been JJ's idea to make a memorial for John B on the big oak tree outside of the chateau, not having a body to bury or a proper funeral for their friends. Pope chopped the bark of the tree in the shape of a heart before JJ pressed the hot, iron metal rod into the fresh bark, writing:

"2003-2O2O

JOHN B. ROUTLEDGE

P4L"

JJ pressed his lips in a flat line, throwing the blow torch and the iron rod to the floor before he dug into his pockets and pulling out his silver flask. "To John B." JJ muttered, bringing the flask up to his lips and taking a large gulp of the vodka that was in it, Pope sipping on his beer.

"And to Sarah." Y/n spoke weakly, looking up at JJ who blinked at her, handing over his flask as she grabbed it, taking a sip before handing it back to him, JJ putting the lid back on and sliding it back into his pocket.

Kie played with a bracelet in the memorial box they had made up for them before she closed the lid, placing it the hole at the base of the tree that JJ had also dug. All four pogues kneeled down, covering the box with dirt to bury it. 

When they all stood back up, JJ placed his hand around y/n's waist, kissing the top of her head before letting out a sniffle, y/n wrapping her arms around him to give him a lingering hug before she pulled away, grabbing his hand and walking over to the hammock, helping each other get on, sitting across from each other, their legs intertwined as they watched the sunset in silence.

Y/n looked over to JJ, who was still staring at the sunset, the golden hue of light washing over him as the sun dipped into the water. "I would've loved for my soul to be created during the sunset. It seems so peaceful." JJ muttered, feeling her eyes on him, y/n furrowing her eyebrows at him.

"I think you were." Y/n spoke up, JJ blinking before he turned his head to look at her. "But not the sunsets like this. I think you were created in the rare sunset that comes after a storm. When the clouds begin to drift off and the sun peaks through them, when the ocean finally settles and the reflection of all the colors are on the water. Not many people see that kind of sunset." Y/n explained, JJ's heart swelled in his chest, and it was in that moment when he stared at her looking back at the sun, he felt truly lucky to have her.

JJ's cheeks tinted pink as she took in a deep breath before speaking up again. "Some of us are flat, some glossy, some matte, but every once in a while, you find someone who is iridescent." Y/n breathed out, looking back over to JJ, and she could've sworn she saw a tear in his eye when he blinked. "Take a picture, it'll last longer." Y/n teased as he stared at her, poking her tongue out slightly, JJ letting a boom of laughter for the first time in a few days.

They were young and in love, and in this moment, they couldn't ask for anything more. It was a love that none of them had expected to hit them. It was truly serendipitous

JJ changed his position so that he was laying next to her, her head resting on his chest before he lifted her chin, pressing his lips to hers, a kiss that felt like time stopped around them. Y/n mumbled an "I love you." against his lips, JJ doing the same before they pulled away, both falling asleep on the hammock.

When y/n awoke the next morning, it was to birds chirping, but no JJ by her side. Y/n shot up and jumped off the hammock, walking back to the chateau, seeing JJ on the back porch, his foot on his knee, reaching up to dip a sewing needle tied to the tip of a pencil with thread wrapping them together, into the tattoo ink he had found in Big John's office.

"What are you doing?" Y/n asked with a smile, sitting next to him as she observed his ankle that he was poking at a quick pace.  JJ, looked at her, a small smile on his lips as she rested her head on his shoulder to get a better view. "Doesn't that hurt?"

"Not really." JJ shrugged, wiping away the left over ink and blood that was on his skin with rubbing alcohol and putting down the tattoo needle. 'P4L' was inked into his skin permanently, the L slightly crooked. Y/n was intrigued to say the least, pressing her lips in a line.

"When do you start work?" Y/n questioned him, looking at the clock, JJ speaking a "12pm." Y/n ears perked up as she grinned at him. He started work in just under two hours. "Can you give me one?" 

JJ froze to look at her, blinking at her words, hiding his surprised reaction at her words. He found it hot, her wanting him to tattoo her. "Are you sure?" JJ asked her, and she nodded. JJ contemplates it for a couple of seconds, her face inches away from his as he observed her. Y/n leaned over, closing the space between them, lips moving together slowly.

When they pulled away, JJ chased the kiss, his chin nudging out for her to kiss him again, but she doesn't, instead she kicks off her shoe and sock.

"Alright." JJ shrugged, pulling out another sewing needle and replacing the used one with the new one, opening his lighter and running the needle through the flame before wiping it with the alcohol and dipping it into the ink, y/n resting her ankle on her knee as he disinfected her skin.

JJ hovers the needle over her skin, squinting his eyes to figure out the exact placement of where he should put the ink, poking her skin with the needle when he decided, y/n's eyebrows furrowing at the lack of pain. 

He looks up every now and then to observe her, trying to make the tattoo as neat as possible but working as quickly as he can to make it hurt less for her. She let out wince if he accidentally went a little bit too deep, continuing at the pace he was at before to finish up the tattoo, doing the last few pokes and wiping off her skin with more alcohol. 

Y/n pulled her leg back slightly to observe her tattoo, JJ chewing his bottom lip as he watched her grin before he pulled out a band aid and sticking it over it, leaning down and kissing the rough material. "It's perfect! Thank you!" Y/n grinned, running her fingers through his hair as he let out a chuckle.

JJ got up to get ready for work, almost losing track of time while giving her the tattoo, getting dressed and threading his belt through the loops of his pants, y/n watching him as he walked over to her.

"When I finish, we're getting on the back of my bike and going somewhere, okay?" JJ smiled at her, kissing her lips as she nodded.