14

"Hell of a job melting it down, Dr. Frankenstein." JJ spoke to Kie, looking at the chunk of gold as they stepped out of the van that was parked in front of the pawn shop. It had been John B's plan to melt down the gold bricks he had found and pawn it off for some money.

"Like you could've done better." Kie muttered as they stood in front of the pawn shop.

"I could have. I took a welding class." JJ shrugged as y/n bit the inside of her cheek, John b telling them to chill as they argued. "Easy for you to say. You're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off. How did I get this job anyway?"

"Because you're the best liar." Y/n chuckled at him as they all walked into the shop, y/n looking around at what they were selling.

"Ma'am, I'm telling ya, this is as real as the day is long." JJ blinked up at the lady working over the counter as she tested the gold.

"Looks like someone tried to melt it down." The lady spoke with eyebrows raised, her arms crossed.

"My mom." JJ clenched his jaw as he lied to the lady. "She had all this jewelry laying around the house, and she thought it was best to melt it down."

"7 pounds?" The lady questioned him, not phased. "That's a lot of earrings."

"Okay, to be honest, ma'am, it's really hard to see my mom fall apart with Alzheimer's." JJ cleared his throat, looking down at the floor, y/n furrowing her eyebrows at Kie who shrugged.

"I'll be right back." The lady nodded, walking through a door as JJ nodded. After a few minutes, the lady walked back into the room with a piece of paper. "I talked to my boss and, uh, this is what I can do." She spoke, placing the paper down on the counter.

"Fifty thousand? You think I walked in here not knowing the spot price? Ma'am, I know for a fact this is worth 140, at least." JJ tried to negotiate with the lady, who let out a scoff.

"Seventy. Half price and I don't ask questions about where you got this." The lady spoke, JJ pressing his lips into a flat line, looking over to John B who stuck his thumb up subtly.

"I'm gonna need that in large denominations, please." JJ agreed as everyone let out a chuckle, looking at each other.

"Well, here's the snag. I don't have that much cash, not here anyway. I can write you a check." The lady spoke, JJ shaking his head.

"No, ma'am. I want the cold hard. That's what that sign says. Cash for gold. And that's what I expect. I'm gonna get it in cold hard." JJ ordered, the lady offering to send them to a warehouse, which they agreed to.

The pogues were back in the van, driving alone a road with nothing on it but the odd house every hundred meters or so. 

"So they keep money out here?" Pope questioned as y/n observed the gold, feeling the weight of the cold metal in her hands.

"That's what she said." JJ shrugged, also looking out the window before letting out a soft chuckle. "That's what she said." earning a "stop." from Pope, JJ rolling his eyes before looking down at y/n who was next to him.

"I've never even heard of Resurrection Drive." Y/n mumbled, handing the gold back to JJ and looking out the window. "There is nothing but weeds out there."

A police siren rang from behind them as they all complained, pulling over and wondering what they had done to get pulled over, John B muttering to JJ to stash the gold. The sound of gun clocking next to John B's head made everyone freeze, looking to see Barry, a local drug dealer, with a shotgun pointed at John B.

"All y'all's hands up in the air now!" Barry yelled as they complied, forcing John B out of the car to open the van door, everyone stepping out of the van. "Lay down in the ditch! On your goddamn hands and knees! Down! Put your face on the ground! Don't let me see you look up!"