29

It had been a few days since y/n last saw JJ, and in those days, she was in and out of sleep, recovering from being shot and having her heart broken. Every minute she spent awake, was a minute of her sobbing over him. Meanwhile JJ was eaten up by guilt and regret, drinking every can of beer in his sight and smoking every blunt he had.

The second night after they broke up, he watched her sleep, tears slipping down his cheeks as he let out silent sobs, but after that second night, he didn't see her again for another 2 days, fearing that it would be too much for him to handle, that he would slip up and not give her the space she needed.

When y/n finally woke up, finally feeling somewhat like a human again, the rain was pelting on the window as she rubbed her eyes, hearing voices out on the porch. She slowly stood up, wiggling her toes as she prepared herself for the shooting pain that would come when she took a stop, softly wincing as she walked to the porch, Kie pacing in the doorway.

"We gotta do something. Our boy is a PO-dub right now, okay? He's held captive by the enemy right now, maybe even scheduled for execution. And we are just gonna sit here?" JJ's voice boomed over the rain and y/n's heart began pounding in her chest as she took a step back, a little bit too sudden as she let out a loud wince, Kie's head snapping towards her.

"Oh my god, you're awake." Kie let out a sigh of relief as she grabbed y/n's hand and helping her sit on the sofa. JJ let out a breath and turned his head to avoid looking at her, his jaw clenched. 

"What are you guys talking about?" Y/n spoke to Kie, her voice weak as she looked up at her friend, also avoiding looking at JJ. "If John B gets convicted, he gets the death penalty." Kie mumbled, y/n's eyebrows snapping down at her. "What's the plan? We start by kidnapping Shoupe?" Kie huffed at JJ who ran his tongue over his top teeth.

"Maybe, like, that's not the worst idea actually." JJ exclaimed at Kie, running his fingers through his hair. "That is actually the worst idea I've ever heard." Pope added, standing up from his seat and taking a step towards JJ.

"Look, Pope, all I'm trying to get you to understand is that they got our boy. Are we just gonna sit here and do nothing? No! We're gonna go get his ass. We're gonna do something about it!" JJ yelled in Pope's face as Pope rolled his eyes. "But it's fine, man. Sit in your comfy chair. Do nothing. I'm gonna see what I can do. Make something happen, even if I have to do it by myself." JJ muttered, storming down the stairs of the porch, into the rain and speeding off on his bike.

"Should we be worried?" Pope huffed out, Kie nodding as Pope looked at y/n. "Look, I don't know what went down between you two, but he's been acting up since. You should probably fix it." Pope told her, y/n's brows furrowing at him as Kie swatted his shoulder. "What, like it's my fault?" Y/n fought back as Pope shrugged.

Kie turned to y/n, who puffed out a breath. "You guys went to court without me? Like, you didn't bother to wake me up?" Y/n questioned, looking at Kie before her gaze went to Pope. "We wanted to, but you needed your rest, John B would understand." Y/n shook her head and rolled her tongue against the inside of her cheek before she stood up, making her way to Sarah, who was in the other room, scrolling through Kie's phone.

"How has, uh," Y/n cleared her throat, sitting across from Sarah. "How has JJ been?" Y/n asked her as Sarah put down the phone. "I've barely seen him, but when I have, he is either extremely high or snapping at everyone. He hasn't stayed here for a few nights." Sarah spoke, y/n giving a soft nod in response. "He loves you, y/n, but I don't expect you to forgive him, hell, I wouldn't forgive John B for touching me like that."

"I just made him angry, if I hadn't-" Y/n began, her voice shaky, but Sarah cut her off.

"Making him angry shouldn't matter. He shouldn't touch you like that, and what happens the next time he gets angry?" Sarah huffed as y/n rested her chin on her palm as she stared at the table. Sarah gave her sister a soft smile before she stood up, walking away.

JJ ended up staying with his cousin Ricky, telling him he needed a place to stay for a few days. So there JJ was, leaning against the wall of the porch, watching the rain fall from the dark sky, lightning lighting up the night every once in a while as JJ puffed on his joint.

He let out a sniffle as he wiped at his watery eyes with the hand that wasn't holding the joint before blinking few times. JJ was tired. He never slept when he wanted to, he couldn't, not without her. The only time he would sleep was when the complete exhaustion took over him, but every time he laid in bed with the intention to sleep, all he saw was the shocked expression on her face when he pushed her to the ground.

"Bro, what are you doing out here so late?" Ricky asked, running his fingers through his hair tiredly. "Couldn't sleep." JJ shrugged, putting out the end of his blunt and throwing it into the ashtray. "Are you alright, man?" Ricky spoke up again.

JJ was silent for a few seconds, squinting his eyes before he looked up at Ricky. "I think I lost her, man, but I'll be alright eventually." JJ lied, he knew he wasn't going to be alright. She was the only reason why he kept going, but as far as he was concerned, she hated him. JJ looked to the floor, his eyes going glossy.

"Okay, Just lock up when you come in." Ricky nodded before going back inside. As soon as JJ heard the door shut, he let out a sob, covering his face with his hands before he turned around, his fist colliding with the brick wall, grazing the skin across his knuckles, resting his forehead against the cold brick.

Everyone was slowly losing faith in him, and his nightmare was starting to become a reality. He had never wanted to hurt her, ever. But he did. JJ was terrified that he was becoming his father. A wife beater, and abuser who only ever cared about substance. It's the only thought that ran through his mind. Deep down, JJ knew that wasn't true, but his judgment was clouded.