My mother loved Onika, like I knew she would. The two of them were with the rest of my family, conversing with them and creating the love I knew would form. The sooner, the better.

"She is."

"Y'all babies are gonna be so cute."

I nodded my head. I could only imagine what our twins were gonna come out looking like. I'd seen a few pictures of Onika's mother and their genes were stronger than ever. Mine were strong too though, so it was really a battle of the DNA. Either way, they would be beautiful.

Emilio walked up to me and stood beside me. He just didn't know how to relax. Even in his regular clothes, he just wouldn't slouch, he was always on guard. I wanted to let him know he didn't have to do that, and that my family could be a safe space for him.

"Megan hasn't calmed you down yet?" I whispered.

He smiled. "I don't know these people, but they seem like good people."

"These are my people, you can let your guard down. Nobody's gonna hurt you Em."

"You have a beautiful family," He changed the subject.

"Thank you."

"Your father reminds me a lot of my father. If they ever met, it would either be World War III or the start of something huge," He said, and he wasn't lying. When I met Mr. Brooks, the only thing that separated the two for me was Mr. Brooks' Sudanese heritage and culture.

"They share a lot of the same values."

"They both raised us the same, I can tell," He started. "But I can see your mother's influence on you."

I nodded my head, but I didn't say what I was thinking. Emilio couldn't show his love outwardly simply because there wasn't a woman showing him how. It was all very obvious.

"When we get back to Manhattan, I want to extend an invite to you, and a separate one to Ms. Maraj to my annual summer party."

"Y'all throw way too many damn parties."

"My sister wants to talk to you," He said and my heart started speeding up. I wished I could stop this shit. "I don't know what about, so don't ask." He turned to me. "So you'll come?"

"I have to talk about it with this one."

Onika was coming my way. I walked toward her, leaving both Angie and Emilio behind me. Without my parents seeing or saying anything, I snuck inside the house, into the only empty room, the guest room. I shut the door behind me, but I couldn't even move. She was glued to me, her arms wrapped around my waist and her head rested against me.

"I'm so tired baby," She murmured. "Your mom is really a host. I love her."

"She loves you too."

Manhattan, New York
May 21st
Onika T. Maraj:

"So you are or you aren't coming?" Beyoncé asked me, I could hear the loud music in her background.

"Are you enjoying yourself?"

"Onika, please. Are you coming?"