Chapter 38

Bucky felt bad for leaving Kira in Wakanda by herself, but at least she would be safe. He hoped to make quick work of this mission and get back to her. Unfortunately, it had already been a week and he wasn't getting anywhere. The only clue he had work with meant paying a visit to a familiar inmate.

"We've got to stop meeting like this, James. People will start to suspect things." Zemo commented as Bucky entered his cell

"Well, don't get too excited," Bucky stated as he approached Zemo, "There's no bail out this time."

Zemo tilted his head, "I imagine your time is spent much differently these days. Expecting a child and all"

Bucky's eyes twitched, "How do you know that?"

Zemo's eyebrows raised in triumph for striking a nerve in the super soldier as he continued, "I had a lovely visitor several months ago. She was quite eager for answers; wondering if there were any known complications during pregnancy for carrying the offspring of a super soldier."

Bucky glared at Zemo. He wasn't sure if he was more pissed at Zemo for his comments or more upset that Kira had been here and never said anything about it. If she was really keeping this secret from him, what else wasn't she telling him.

"I do hope everything is okay" Zemo added with a slight smirk.

"I'm not here to talk about me, I'm here to get some answers" Bucky gritted through his teeth

The door buzzed open and Bucky turned around. It was Okoye. She had a frantic look on her face as she spoke, "James. It's Kira. She has gone into labor"

His heart raced as his eyes widened in fear. It wasn't time. It was too soon. "No no!" he shouted as he ran out of the cell.

-------------

Bucky stormed inside, pushing past everyone yelling out, "WHERE IS SHE?" The bystanders pointed him down the hall. He ran as fast as he could but some of the Dora Milaje were guarding the entrance. "We can't let you in," one of them stated.

"Let me in," Bucky ordered, his tone angry and worried.

"She's not stable," The other added.

But Bucky didn't care, he charged his metal shoulder between them, barging into the room.

"Her body is rejecting the medication" a nurse yelled out

"What's happening?" Bucky cried out as he saw Kira on the table, screaming out in pain. She was strapped down by her arms and legs. Her head jolted back as she screamed out and fought against the restraints.

Shuri looked at her guards, "he shouldn't be in here!"

Arms reached out to pull Bucky back. He held his ground, not letting them move him from the room. His eyes darted to the heart rate monitor, it was beating too fast and then suddenly her body started to convulse right in front of him

"She's seizing!" Shuri yelled out.

Tears streamed down his face as he pulled against the arms holding him back, "KIRA!" he yelled.

And then it stopped. 

Everything stopped. 

He could only hear his own heart beat as her body collapsed onto the table, motionless with her head rolled to the side and her eyes staring out to the floor. The heart rate monitor flat lined completely.

"KIRA" he yelled out, breaking from the guards hold, but Okoye blocked his path. "Let me through" Bucky desperately cried out

With tears in her eyes, Okoye held him back, "James!" she pushed against him with her strength, "James, they can still save the baby"

His lips quivered as he stopped fighting Okoye and his body fell down to his knees. Helplessly, he watched as the doctors and nurses surrounded Kira's lifeless body. "Kira..." he whispered, tears flooding from his eyes to the floor.