CHAPTER 5 - THE TREE OF BEGINNING

Ash and Mewtwo appeared out of thin air right in front of the cabin he was using to train at Mount Silver. While Ash put on his sweater's hood, Mewtwo again brought out his psychic shield against the cold and Pikachu opened Ash's backpack, slipping inside it and then closing it again. Ash looked around the area they were at.

"I don't see Riolu. Then again, it's kind of hard to see anything, even in this light snowfall. Should we split up?" asked Ash.

"No need for that. I will use my psychic senses to look for life forms near us."

"Hey, that reminds me, I can try using my aura senses too! It'll help me get better using it as well!"

"Might as well give it a shot. Alright then, let us both try."

Mewtwo's eyes glowed blue suddenly and started looking for anything nearby. Ash followed with his own detection as his aura outlined his body faintly in a blue glow and then sent out a transparent, yet light aura pulse around him. After a few minutes of trying to sense something, they got nothing. They both stopped with their actions, Ash breathing a little harder, which was noticed by the feline.

"Are you alright Ash?"

Ash glanced at him, a little surprised for the question of concern, even if it was made with no emotion.

"Yeah, I'm good. Just haven't had much practice. Anyway, I got nothing. How about you?"

"Nothing for me either it seems. Perhaps we should try at the base of the mountain."

"Okay, let's go."

Again they disappeared, and barely a second passed and they reappeared at the base of the mountain, in front of the cave entrance. They both tried sensing for Riolu again. After a minute or two, Mewtwo stopped what he was doing and grabbed Ash's arm, causing him to lose focus and leave his aura sense. Before the boy could say anything, Mewtwo raised his other arm and pointed towards their right side.

Understanding the gesture, Ash nodded as Mewtwo glanced at him and they both set off in that direction. Ash struggled a bit walking over the snow, while Mewtwo simply floated over the cold ground. After walking for about two hundred feet, they noticed a small black and blue figure leaning against a tree, with snow covering most of its body. Ash hurried past Mewtwo towards the figure and once he got close enough, he noticed it was the pokémon they were looking for, but in a very bad shape.

The small fighting canine looked to be unconscious. Ash brushed off most of the snow off of Riolu, and noticed some bruises and cuts on him, probably from battling some wild pokémon. What scared Ash the most was that he was hardly breathing and when he checked for a pulse, it was very weak.

"This is bad Mewtwo. He's very cold and he looks to be in pretty bad shop, probably caused from some fights with wild pokémon. We need to get him to a pokémon center quick."

Mewtwo looked at Ash, not responding for a moment, and then nodded. Ash gingerly picked up the pokémon, stood up and then gave a nod signaling he was ready. Mewtwo's eyes glowed and the next second, they vanished.

They appeared right in front of an extremely large tree, one that looked as huge as a mountain. As soon as Ash noticed where they were, he turned to Mewtwo, confused.