CHAPTER 16 - TAKING A CHANCE

The Spirit Tournament had begun and the opening match was between Ash Ketchum of Kanto versus Sarah Wiseman from Johto. Ash had beaten two of her pokémon with just his Pidgeot and when Sarah saw that she couldn't take out Pidgeot even with her Jolteon, she forfeit, knowing she couldn't win and that she didn't want to injure her last pokémon. Sarah and Ash shook hands after the match and gave the referee their microphones before doing so.

"Good match Sarah. I hope to face you again one day," said Ash as he shook her hand.

"Thanks Ash, but I doubt it will be much different. I trained for a long time yet my pokémon were no match for yours. I'm nowhere near your level," sighed Sarah as they let go of their hands.

"Hey, don't be like that. I learned a lot from my mistakes and losses and that helped me as a trainer and helped out my pokémon too. I'm sure that you'll become stronger and I would love for a rematch." Sarah stared at him.

Wow, he's so humble and modest.

"You know, your something different Ash. Thank you for your kind words. I will train harder and when I'm ready, let's have a rematch. Let's register each other's numbers."

Ash added her number to his Poketch and she did the same with his on her own.

"Take care Ash and good luck. I will watch the rest of the tournament before going into training. You better not lose or I will kick your ass!" she said playfully, slapping his arm.

"You're not the first one to say something like that to me."

"Oh, you mean your girlfriend, the red head?" asked Sarah.

"Well she's not my girlfriend yet," murmured Ash, chuckling.

Sarah tilted her head in confusion and Ash noticed.

"Too long and complicated to explain. Don't worry about it." He waved his hand as he finished. Sarah giggled and nodded.

"Okay Ash. I'll see ya around."

"See ya Sarah. I'll be looking forward to our rematch." Sarah went pink before she smiled and nodded before they both left the field. His friends were waiting for him at the end of tunnel's exit.

"Great match Ash!" shouted Max. His friends all nodded and Ash thanked them for their compliments.

"Yes, that was a very entertaining flavor the way your Pidgeot won with such grace."

"Yea, you should've seen Cilan's jaw drop when you knocked out Tyranitar," said Iris, teasing her boyfriend.

"Hey Ash, what were you talking to Sarah about?" asked Serena, curious.

"Not much, we exchanged numbers because she said she'll call me for a rematch after she trains some," answered Ash with a shrug.

That better be the only reason why, thought May and Dawn.

"Ash…"

"Yea Misty?"

"I'm sorry for shouting at you and insulting you in front of everyone. I should've known better, that you had a plan. You're not the same clueless trainer you were years ago," apologized Misty as she looked at her feet, rubbing her arm with her free hand. Ash started at her for a second, thinking. He got close to her and grasped her chin with his index finger and thumb before gently raising her head to look him in the eyes.