42

tw/ psych ward
Sage

"Good news. Rider had another surgery and is now recovering well from the infection. And your dad has been taken off the ventilator. And you have a special guest who has used his cunning ways to wiggle his way in here to challenge you to a game of chess,"

"Start again. Rider had surgery?" I said.

"Yeah, and he is," -

"Recovering. Thank fuck- oh, sorry. And dad is not on a ventilator... that's good right?"

"Yeah. That's why it came under 'good news' ," Mark chuckled, "And,"-

"Rory is here?!"

"Surprise!"

He peeked round the doorway and I got off my bed, throwing my book down so that I could hug him. He lifted my feet off the ground slightly and then squeezed tightly, his cheek pressed against my head.

"I'm so happy to see you,"

"Me too. I was very upset when I found out you were here because I really wanted to see you, because I am upset, and you're upset, so we needed each other,"

"Shall we go to the common room?" Mark said, giving Rory a pat on the back, "Then you two can chat and play a game for an hour,"

"I wanna stay here,"

"Party pooper,"

"Rory,"

"I'm kidding. I'm kidding!"

I giggled and looped arms with him, both of us heading to the common room. We found a spot in the corner and I began to set up a game of chess, but he swiped the pieces off and shuffled over, hugging me tightly again.

He smelt like Ashton, which was oddly comforting until I realised he smelt like dad too.

Now in the arms of someone familiar, I couldn't help but tear up.

"There, there,"

"I'm sorry I left you,"

"You didn't leave me. I love you, so I am glad you are able to have this support. Everyone here is great,"

"I'm just so fed up. I am a lot less fed up than I was a few days ago, but still very fed up,"

"I know how you feel,"

"When does this stop?"

"I don't know... I think we just have to cope as best as we can. But we have each other,"

"Can't believe I'm saying this but you sound smart for once,"

"Hey," he laughed, "Don't be a dick,"

"Language," Mark called.

"Mardy Mark,"

"I will be if you keep that up,"

"Fiesty,"

I giggled and Rory looked at me with a grin, then dried my eyes with his sleeve and sighed.

"Do you think you will be out soon?"

"Yeah... I do. I want to be,"

"Well that's good, as long as it's safe. Gia and I went to the park today,"

"Awh did you play in the park?"

"Don't act like you wouldn't,"

"Okay. True,"

"Swinging is really fun, but I jumped off a bit too high and dad got mad at me incase I hurt myself,"