13

Calum

"Woah,"

"Have you ever been to the cinema before?"

"No,"

"Well usually I would go all out, but I don't think popcorn and fizzy drinks is what you fancy right now,"

They shook their head and looked round, taking my hand.

"You can choose the film,"

"Any of them?"

"Within reason,"

They looked at the list of showings and chose one, then I bought us some water and tickets, taking them to the theatre.

It seemed like a good distraction for what had just happened, and it was always nice to experience firsts with them.

We got our seats and they leant towards me, letting me hug them; I kissed their cheek and they sighed, opening their water.

"I hope it's a good film,"

"I hope so too,"

**

"I enjoyed that. Thanks dad,"

"You're very welcome, it was a good film, wasn't it?"

"Thank you,"

"You're very welcome," I repeated, "Do you fancy a bite to eat?"

"My tooth aches a little bit,"

"I have some medicine. Maybe we could go and have a nice meal? And have a chat,"

"About what?"

"I don't know, life," I laughed, "Only if you want,"

"Yeah, okay. Gia didn't get all this,"

"She's gonna get her ears pierced, I think we need to let all yours heal before we get anymore,"

"Okay,"

We went into a restaurant and got a table, sitting opposite each other. Both of us decided our food, and ordered drinks; when they came, Sage took some painkillers.

Over the last couple of months they had really grown up. I was so lucky to see them express themselves, and form new friendships. They were blossoming into their own person, and I had noticed that I generally got to steer Rider's life without them worrying so much.

"How are you feeling about home at the minute? Do you like the way we run things? Is there anything you want to chat about? Yanno, I'm all ears,"

"I like home,"

"Good,"

"Rider does too. It's nice to know we are getting food, and I love my room,"

"Yeah, I really hope you have everything you need,"

"I think I do,"

"Are school still supporting you well?"

"Yeah. A couple of other people in my class are dyslexic,"

"Is there any way I can support you with that?"

"Well I borrowed a sheet of someones pink note paper and it was good. They get things printed on it too,"

"I will order some in, and let your school know then. I am sure I can find an overlay so you can read,"

"Thank you. I've been trying to figure out what helps,"

"No problem," I smiled, moving their glass so their pasta could be put down, "How are you feeling about your medication?"

"I mean, it's okay. I'm not really 100% still, but I feel a lot better. Still quite shitty but... a bit less shitty. I guess it takes time,"