15

Calum

I picked up a very exhausted Gia and Rider from therapy, their moods a mirror image of mine.

"Long day?"

"Yes,"

"Me too,"

"Can we have bolognese tonight?"

"If you ask politely, angel,"

"Please,"

"We can. How was your day Rider?"

"Fine,"

Under his eyes was red and raw, slightly puffy too.

"Wanna talk about it?"

"At home,"

"Okay. Gia, I'm gonna need you to call grandma and ask her what the secret ingredient is for her bolognese because I forgot,"

"Do I have to?"

"Yes please,"

I parked outside our house and we all got out. Before I got chance to put the lunchboxes in the kitchen, Rider pulled at my hand, so I gave Gia my phone and followed him to the sofa.

When I sat down, he burst into more tears.

"What's up sweetheart?"

"I'm sad,"

"And what's made you sad?"

"My old home,"

I wrapped my arm round him and grabbed a tissue, wiping his nose.

"It can be tricky to talk and think about, can't it?" I said, "Is it a topic you want me to know?"

"No,"

"Okay,"

"It just made me sad,"

"You're safe now, I promise. It's totally okay to be upset by everything that happened, and it might always be a bit scary to think about, but it will get easier,"

"I'm glad I don't get bruises anymore,"

"I am glad too,"

Gia bounced over and sat next to him, hugging him tightly.

"She said red wine,"

"Okay, thanks angel. Are you gonna make sure Rider feels okay while I cook?"

"Yeah, I will play a video game with him,"

"Oh that will be lovely!"

I kissed both their heads and went to the kitchen to cook the food. I didn't actually need Gia to ring my mum, I just wanted an excuse for them to talk since she was coming over on Sunday.

I put the radio on and put he ingredients in, checking my phone for a text from Sage. There wasn't one, so I asked them instead, and they said they were eating there.

Seeing them get this experience now was an incredible feeling.

When I was finished, I served up the food and called the kids to the table, getting them both drinks.

"So we are probably going to get Sage at 7. Do you guys want to go to the park or something before?"

"Yes!"

"No,"

"Why not?" Gia sulked.

"I'm sad,"

"It will be fun,"

"No!"

"Perhaps we can go tomorrow," I said, "It'll be no fun if Rider isn't up for it,"

"Fine,"