Eavesdrop

Summary: Spencer feels disheartened after hearing how well Y/N's date went - too bad he didn't hear the rest of the conversation

✧❀❀❀✧

Carrying a paper bag in his hand containing Y/N's favourite muffin from the bakery she always went to, Spencer headed to Penelope's office. He knew that Y/N was chatting to Penelope, at least that's where Derek told him she was. When he came into work that day with a wide smile and a small spring in his step carrying the paper bag, Derek had to question the younger man about where all his enthusiasm came from.

That morning, Spencer was forced to drive to work as he woke up too late and missed his train. However it seemed as if the universe wanted him to drive as on his way into work he passed by Y/N's favourite bakery. On their days off, her and Spencer would go there before having a casual stroll through the park. Whenever Spencer would tell anyone about these small little escapades, everyone would give him a knowing glance - to which of course Spencer didn't understand.

Originally Spencer was going to get a cookie for himself as he didn't have much cash on him that morning, but once he noticed that they sold Y/N's favourite muffin, he couldn't resist buying it for her, leaving his cookie completely abandoned.

Practically skipping down the hall until he reached Penelope's office, he raised his hand to knock. Just before his knuckle came in contact with the door, he stopped after hearing something he wished he never did.

"The date was great Pen!" Y/N exclaimed from the other side of the door, "He was a gentleman, he was kind, he made jokes, he even offered to dance with me to a slow song that began playing."

Spencer felt like his heart was being constricted. Y/N went on a date and from the sound of it, it went extremely well.

"Ooh, did you two head back to yours or his?" Penelope asked in a suggestive tone.

"Mine since it was closer," Y/N answered with a chuckle, "Guess we were both impatient."

Spencer's hand fell back down to his side as his gaze was cast to the floor. He knew that he shouldn't be listening but he couldn't help himself.

"So did he stay the night around yours? If so, what happened? Are you getting another date? Please, I need all the details." Penelope exclaimed.

Before Y/N even answered, Spencer found his feet carrying him back down the hallway and back to his desk. Derek gave him a questioning look as to why he was still carrying the paper bag that was meant for Y/N. Spencer only deflected it saying that she wasn't in Penelope's office. Once he placed the bag down on Y/N's desk, he sat down at his and didn't talk to anyone for the rest of the day.

Back in Penelope's office just after Spencer had left before even knocking, Y/N gave Penelope a small sad smile.

"There won't be another date." Y/N said.