Everything to Lose

Summary: After one case threatens the life of both Y/N and Spencer, they both make the mutual decision to retire from the BAU as they want to see their two daughters grow up

✧❀❀❀✧

Being in a hostage situation wasn't a great situation to be in. Especially when there was a gun pointed at you. Y/N and Spencer had been taken hostage by the unsub. Both of them were growing increasingly worried. At any moment, the unsub could fire the gun and claim the life of either Y/N or Spencer - or the worst case scenario, both of them.

Y/N's whole body shook with nerves. She could normally keep cool under these circles, she had been a hostage before - but this time it was different. Two years ago, Y/N and Spencer had welcomed twin daughters. Both her and Spencer were extremely excited to welcome children into their small family. They had managed to find a balance between working and looking after them.

Y/N and Spencer were sitting too far away from one another to comfort each other. Spencer stared at Y/N with glossy eyes as a gun was pointed at her. Y/N, although she was almost imploding due to nerves, she stared the man in the face.

Spencer struggled to get out of the rope that tied his wrists behind his back. He couldn't stand to see this any longer. He couldn't stand to see the love of his life with a gun pointed at her forehead. He would rather the man shoot him instead of her.

"Stop struggling or I'll shoot her." The man said, pressing the gun against Y/N's temple.

Immediately, Spencer stopped struggling. A tear fell down Y/N's cheek. She wanted to look at Spencer but she knew that once she looked away from the man, there was a possibility that he would shoot her.

The man laughed before taking the gun away from Y/N's head and walked away from the two. Y/N's head snapped towards Spencer. He was sitting too far away for her to reach out to him. Y/N could see the tears streaming down his cheeks, tears were streaming down hers as well.

"I love you." Y/N mouthed.

"I love you too." Spencer mouthed back.

Y/N tried to smile back but she couldn't. All she wanted to do was to take Spencer into her arms and return home to her two daughters. She just wanted to be with her family. Deep down, Y/N knew that this would probably be the last case she worked on. She didn't want to believe it but after being put in a life threatening situation she knew she couldn't keep doing this job.

Commotion was heard outside. Y/N's ears perked up as she recognised the voice of Emily Prentiss. Y/N looked over at Spencer, a hopeful look in her eyes. The door burst open and the team walked in with guns raised.

The man who had taken Y/N and Spencer hostage circled around behind Y/N, pulling her to her feet, gun on her temple.

"No!" Spencer struggled with his restraints. At this point, Spencer was begging for the man to let her go, his heart was beating at a rapid pace and his palms were sweating.

Y/N tried to keep her composure but failed. As Emily tried to talk the man down, Y/N sobbed. She wanted to leave. She wanted to go home to her children. She didn't want to be here anymore.

Spencer, who was still struggling with his restraints, felt exactly the same way as Y/N. He knew, like Y/N did, that this would be the final case he would work for the BAU. After having many near death experiences in the past, this was the one that finally made Spencer not want to do it ever again. He had too much to lose.

After what felt like eternity to Y/N and Spencer, but was only a few minutes to everyone else, the man removed the gun from Y/N's temple. The man was handcuffed by Luke and taken away.

Once both of their restraints were off, Y/N jumped into Spencer's arms. They held each other tight.

"We're okay," Spencer whispered, the words quiet, only Y/N could hear, "We're okay."

"I can't do this anymore," Y/N mumbled into his chest, "I can't do it."

"I know." Spencer said, one of his hands coming up to rest on the back of her head.

On the way home, Y/N and Spencer didn't leave each other's side. Their hands were connected the entire time, they whispered sweet nothings to each other. The rest of the team didn't mind, they all knew how much the two had been through.

Once they landed, Y/N and Spencer rushed home. Both of them only wanted to see two of the most important people in their lives. Once they opened the door, two little girls rushed over to Y/N and Spencer. For the first time that day, wide smiles stretched across both of their faces.

"Mommy! Daddy!" The two girls, Isla and Everly, said as both Y/N and Spencer picked them up.

They bid goodbye to their babysitter and the four of them cuddled up on the couch. Y/N was happy, she was surrounded by the people she loved most in the world. Her head rested on Spencer's shoulder as their two girls were draped over them. Spencer turned and pressed a kiss on Y/N's forehead. She closed her eyes at the feeling.

Spencer couldn't be more grateful for the people he was surrounded by. He knew that this was his family and he loved them more than anything. He was willing to give anything up for them.

Once Y/N and Spencer put their kids to bed, they headed to bed themselves. They both had a hard day and deserved to relax. Spencer laid in the bed and Y/N climbed over to him, resting her head in the crook of his neck. Spencer's arms wrapped around her keeping her close to him.

No words needed to be said between the two, they had a mutual understanding of what each other wanted. Y/N pressed a kiss to the side of his neck.

"You know what I'm thinking, right?" Y/N mumbled.

"Yeah, yeah I do," Spencer answered, "And I think that I'm thinking the same thing."

"So when do you want to tell the rest of the team?" Y/N questioned.

Spencer paused for a moment, "I think they already know."

"So you're gonna take up teaching full time?"

"Yeah, I was thinking about it for a while," Spencer explained, "But today, just solidified that decision. What are you going to do?"

"I think I might just get a small job," Y/N said, "Not anything too hectic. Maybe I could open that café I always wanted."

"That would be perfect." Spencer mumbled, lips brushing over Y/N's forehead.

"Is this definitely what you want? You're not just doing this because I want to leave are you?" Y/N questioned, tilting her head to look at her husband.

Spencer moved his hand, placing it on her cheek, "This is my own decision and I've never been sure about anything else. Everything I do is because of you, and Isla and Everly. You're my family."

"And you're mine." Y/N mumbled against his lips.

✧❀❀❀✧