Reid to Me

Summary: On the plane home after a long case, everyone is asleep and Y/N asks Spencer to read to her

✧❀❀❀✧

Y/N climbed onto the plane and slumped down onto one of the seats and let out a long sigh. Even if she had been a part of the BAU for a few years now, the job never got any easier. Y/N's mind continuously flashed back to the image of a six year old boy dead on the floor. No matter how much she tried to erase the image from her head, it didn't go away.

The rest of the BAU took their place on the plane just as Y/N did. Everyone was shaken up over the case still. All anyone wanted to do was go home and take a well deserved rest. Y/N rested her head against the back of her seat and stared ahead of her - images of things she wished to forget still replaying in her mind.

"You okay?" Derek asked. Y/N turned her head slightly to look at Derek. She gave him a tight lipped smile to try and re assure that she was okay but she could tell that he didn't buy it, but in this instance, he didn't pry, "Try and get some sleep, it's a long flight."

Y/N only nodded and rested her head against the back of her chair once again. She shut her eyes and drifted off to sleep quickly, exhaustion taking over her.

***

Y/N awoke with a start. She looked around frantically before realising where she was. She sighed before checking her phone for the time. She had only been asleep for an hour. Looking around, Y/N noticed that mostly everyone was fast asleep - all except for Spencer, who was sitting on the couch reading a book.

Knowing that she wasn't going to get back to sleep anytime soon, Y/N got up from her chair and made her way over to Spencer. Y/N had been close friends with Spencer ever since she joined the BAU. Y/N thought one of the reasons for this was due to them being very close in age - Spencer only being a few months older than Y/N. Even outside of work, the two would practically do everything together. Y/N knew she could tell Spencer anything. Well, all except one thing.

Spencer, who had noticed Y/N approach from the corner of his eye, looked up from his book. Her eyes were red and her eye bags were more prominent than ever. Her hair was messy from her sleeping but to Spencer, he had never seen someone look so beautiful. He offered her a small smile as she sat down next to him.

Y/N was silent for a moment, before speaking, "The job never gets easier does it?" Y/N didn't expect Spencer to reply so she continued, "We solve cases to prevent people from dying but that doesn't mean we can save everyone," Y/N lifted her legs onto the couch, instinctively shuffling closer to Spencer in the process, "A young boy died today. We could have prevented that. Maybe I could have prevented that. I was the closest to the house, maybe if I had just been a little faster then maybe he would still be alive." Y/N said, picking at a loose bit of thread coming off her t-shirt.

"You can't blame yourself, Y/N," Spencer said softly, "You can't blame anyone but the man who murdered him."

"I know but-"

"Y/N, don't blame yourself." Spencer said, a little more forcefully this time, but his eyes still showed the same amount of kindness as before.

Y/N looked into his eyes before giving him a small nod. She scooted a little closer to him again and rested her head on his shoulder. Spencer went rigid at first before he slowly began to relax. In all their time of being close friends, they had never been touchy with each other. Y/N knowing the fact that Spencer wasn't a big fan of handshakes or a lot of physical contact in general, and therefore respecting his space. However right now, all she wanted to do was be close to him.

"This is okay, right?" Y/N asked him.

"Um, yeah. It's perfectly fine...it's nice actually." Spencer said but mentally cursed himself for sounding painfully awkward. Although he did wrap one of his arms around her shoulder so she would be more comfortable.

A moment of silence passed between the two of them before Y/N broke it, "Hey Spencer?" He hummed in response, letting her know to continue, "Can you read to me? I just want something to get my mind off of what happened."

Spencer smiled at her, even though she couldn't see it, "Of course."

Y/N closed her eyes as Spencer began reading. She wasn't even that interested in the book, she was just enjoying listening to the sound of his voice. There was something comforting about it. Something she loved about it. Y/N moved her head slightly to look at Spencer and admired him as he read. His eyes darted across the page - a lot slower than usual as he was taking his time to read it aloud for Y/N.

Y/N took this time to wrap her arms around Spencer's torso and manoeuvred her head to rest on his chest, causing Spencer to stop reading. Y/N however, mumbled a quiet, 'Keep reading'. Spencer cleared his throat before continuing to read, however his mind was only thinking about how Y/N was rested upon his chest.

Once he had finished the chapter, Y/N let out a small yawn. She tiredly looked up at Spencer. She always knew she liked him as more than a friend but she never had the courage to admit it. She didn't want to ruin their friendship. However, in her tired state, that all went out the window as she slowly leaned up and pressed a kiss to the corner of his mouth.

"Thank you for doing that Spencer." Y/N said.

Spencer, too in shock by what had just happened, didn't reply as Y/N moved her head back to its position on his chest and drifted off to sleep. Spencer continued to sit there in shock for a moment before pressing a small kiss to her forehead and drifted off to sleep himself, Y/N lying in his arms.

✧❀❀❀✧