Chapter 45

Y/N POV:

"Come on.  How many more days am I going to be sick?" I leaned over the toilet, once again emptying my stomach of the contents, the bagel with cream cheese and glass of milk I had for breakfast.  The morning sickness was worse than I had expected even though I read the books and browsed all the websites I could find.  Flushing the toilet, I slowly got to my feet, relief washing over me when the nauseated feeling didn't return.  After washing my hands and face, I quickly brushed my teeth with the toothbrush I had stashed in my purse, wanting to get the bitter taste from my mouth.

Looking at my reflection, I tried to pinch some color back into my cheeks, not wanting everyone in the office to see how pale I was and start questioning me.  I had just reapplied my lipstick when the door opened behind me and Sandy, one of my colleagues, came in.  Tall with long red hair and dark eyes, Sandy was sweet, much nicer than I had originally thought.  When we first met, she had been standoffish, but I quickly learned it was due to the time it took her to warm up to new people.  Within days, I had felt like I had met a completely different person.

"You okay sweetie?  You don't look so good."  Sandy's voice was concerned as she placed a well-manicured hand on my shoulder.

Nodding my head, I gave her a reassuring smile.  "I'm okay.  I think I must have eaten something that didn't agree with me, but I feel much better now."  I ran a hand over my face and pinched my cheeks, trying to bring some color back into them.  "Hopefully it won't happen again."

Sandy nodded.  "I know how you feel.  I went to dinner with a friend and ended up with the worse food poisoning.  I was afraid I was going to end up moving into my bathroom."  She shuddered at the memory and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Yeah it definitely sucks."  As I left the bathroom, Sandy followed me out, her footsteps almost silent as she walked next to me.

"I was going to ask you to join us for lunch, but it's probably not the best idea, considering how you were feeling just now."  Sandy's voice was apologetic and I dismissed it with a wave.

"Thank you, but you're probably right.  the thought of food right now doesn't sound very good and I'm not sure it would be the best thing to do."  Although I appreciated her kindness, I still was hesitant about the friendships I made in the company.  After hearing that someone there had given my key to the person who set my apartment on fire, I was hesitant to trust anyone.  Unfortunately, we never found out who it was since the person who had overheard the conversation apparently decided not to step forward.  It made me suspicious of everyone in the company, not allowing me to trust anyone.

Sandy patted my shoulder as we approached the design office.  "No problem.  Maybe soon enough you'll be feeling up to joining us."  She gave me a final smile then headed over to her desk.

The rest of the morning passed quickly and since my stomach was still feeling a little funny, I decided to stick to a simple smoothie for lunch.  There was a place not too far from the company and I figured the fresh air would do me good.  By the time I arrived, my stomach had settled and I felt safe ordering something to drink, knowing that I needed the nutrition for my growing baby.  I had attended my first doctor's appointment and the kind obstetrician had assured me that everything was going well.  She had placed my conception date sometime in January, giving me an estimated due date for the first week in October.  Knowing it was going to come quickly scared me, but as soon as I heard the baby's heartbeat on the Doppler, my fears disappeared and I knew I would do anything for this baby.  It may not be planned or wanted by its father, but I already loved it so much, more than anything else in the world.

After ordering a strawberry banana smoothie, I moved to the side, allowing the customers behind me to place their orders while the young man behind the counter made my drink.  I had just picked it up off the counter when a familiar voice filled the air.  My heart clenching in panic, I turned to see Jin entering the shop, Mina at his side, her hand held tightly in his.  Remembering what he told me about their relationship (or lack of) and seeing them together now made me want to scream.  Mina caught my eye and gave me a smug smile, wrapping her arm around Jin's in a possessive gesture.  It made me want to go over there and rip her arm off, but I kept a blank look on my face, not letting any of my emotions show in my face.  Jin turned, his eyes meeting mine, and a look of surprise crossing his face.  Not wanting to see the two of them together, I hurried out of the shop, my eyes on the door and away from the happy couple.