Violet blew out a breath. "I do know." she drew her daggers. "For Shiro."

"For Shiro." They set off, following the trail he'd set out for them.

They crossed through the cave, emerging into some kind of facility that looked on the verge of collapse. Proceeding cautiously, they inched along the rafters, looking for Shiro. They reached the top of the tower. Violet looked around; cases lined the walls electrical wires weaved through them. They were standing on a platform above the rest of the facility.

The lights turned on in a flash of light, and Keith and Violet shielded their eyes. Shiro stepped out from behind one of the cases, a strange glint in his eyes.

"Hello, you two."

"Everything going to be okay, Shiro," said Keith, raising his arms.

Shiro smiled and began striding towards them. "Yes, they are."

"We just need to get you out of here and-"

"None of us are ever leaving this place!" Shiro snarled, and Violet realized what was off about him. His irises were purple, the kind gray shade gone. Shiro attacked Keith head-on, his metal arm lighting up. Violet drew her daggers as Keith fended Shiro off, looking for an opening.

Shiro slapped Keith away, and Violet jumped in, ducking his attacks and going for his torso. Shiro evaded the blow, striking her chest, but Violet caught his hand with two of her blades. They locked together, Shiro's arm set firmly between them. Shiro grunted, forcing his arm down against the blades.

Violet hadn't used her blades in battle with her injured hands, and was unprepared for how quickly they lost their strength. She almost dropped them, but then Keith was there, punching Shiro in the face and breaking him loose of the hold. Shiro ducked and fell back, circling them.

He shot for Violet, a blur of movement; on instinct, she sidestepped and flipped her dagger into one hand, aiming to plunge it into his heart. But she couldn't do that, because it was Shiro. Violet paused, drawing back the blade, and Shiro took the opportunity. Grabbing her arm, he flung her off the platform at the top of the tower.

"VIOLET!" Keith shouted. As she plummeted over the side, Violet twisted in midair, grabbing the dangling wires and swinging around wildly on reflex. Pain bloomed in her hands, so sharply she couldn't hold on. Violet fell and landed on the platform three levels below, rolling to absorb the impact.

Violet struggled to her feet, peering up at what was happening above her. Keith and Shiro were locked in battle, viciously exchanging blows. As she watched, Shiro lunged forward in a hit that would've decapitated Keith had he not spun out of the way at the last second. She felt a pit of fear in her gut; Keith would never win. He couldn't kill Shiro; sadly, the feeling wasn't returned.

She wouldn't lose Keith. He'd just come back. Violet refused to let him leave her again so soon.

Violet began searching for a way back up the tower. She and Keith together could fend off Shiro, despite her now-trembling hands; she'd kill him, if it came to that, because she knew Keith couldn't do it. Violet started climbing up the rings at the side of the tower two at a time, as fast as she could, clenching the bars to keep her hold.

The rings stopped. Violet drew two of her blades and shoved them into the side of the tower, hauling herself up. Both her hands were shaking now with the effort of holding her weight, agony coursing through her bones every time she drive the dagger into the tower.

After a couple feet, she made it to another set of rings and repeated the motion. Climb, climb, stop. Daggers. Pain. Climb. Her entire arm burned now, but she kept going, fueled by adrenaline and fear.