Thirty-Two.

Unedited

Lilith:

Ten years later..

"Bestie, bestie, besties! It's the day!" Kellen squealed as he jumped up and down in the middle of my office. Both Rachel and I looked at each other before busting out laughing.

"Well..I still have work to do so we're not doing anything, yet." I chuckled as I typed on my laptop. I was working on my new book, recently being nominated for an award for the last one I published.

It was about two young women who grew up together but couldn't be together, but eventually found their way to each other when they were adults. It's been best-selling since I released it a few years ago.

Tonight was the night of the award ceremony. It was time for me to accept my best-sellers award and to make a speech about my task for the hook and how I want my company to grow. I opened up my own editorial company, recruiting over five hundred graduate students to work for me.

It worked out in my favor.

Senior year of high school was tough. After dealing with the abortion and being separated from Remi, I fell into a deep depression. I started to skip school and to lay in bed all day. I was disappointing not only myself but my parents.

And then one day Rachel came over. She pampered me, giving me a bath and doing my hair and picking out some nice clothes. We went out to dinner with Kellen and caught a movie and by the end of the night, I was a high happy camper.

This went on every weekend for the last ten years, all three of us hanging out and doing different activities together. They were my two closest friends. After being separated. Remi completely disappeared off the face of the earth. Even her parents didn't know where she went, crying and trying to understand.

To this day, we still don't know where she's been. Or at least I don't. Her parents don't talk about it, but I knew that she checked in with them. They were calmer, more content a few weeks after her disappearance.

Rachel never heard from her either, but she said she knew it was for the best. She knew she was okay. She said she felt it in her gut. Her and Desiree ended up getting engaged and now they're married and in the process of adopting a baby.

I stayed single for the last ten years. I decided I wanted nothing more than to focus on myself. I was completely traumatized from love. The heartbreak took years to recover from, but I managed and here I am. Owning my own company and being an award nominated best selling author.

What more could I ask for?

The relationship between mommy and I was rough, but we managed to recover from it. When we got home that night, she made me pack all of Remi's stuff and give it back. I managed to keep some of her t-shirts and hoodies for myself and she hated it, but I didn't care.

They were my comfort.

Later that night, Remi managed to sneak over and we made love one last time. We cried and held each other. She handed me another charm for my bracelet and it was a baby-faced angel. For our baby that we couldn't have as of yet.

That was the last time I saw her. I woke up to a long letter explaining her love for me and how one day she was going to come back for me and give me everything I've ever wanted. So I waited until the day.

Until it didn't happen.

I sighed and unplugged my computer before packing my bag and walking downstairs to my car. As I drove him, my phone rang and I saw that it was my mom. I smiled and answered, watching as her face popped up in the camera.

"Hi mommy."

"My love! What time are we to be at the venue?" Mommy asked.

"By eight. What are you wearing?"

"I'm not the one going on stage. What are you wearing?"

"Eh, I don't know. I'm sure Rachel and Kellen are gonna figure that out for me, but I'm driving so I'll see you later. Kiss mama for me."

"I will! Bye baby."

I pulled up in front of my apartment complex and yawned as I walked to the door and grabbed my mail before walking upstairs to my loft. I opened and shut the door to see my best friends already dressed and glammed up.

"Rachel your body is insane!" I breathed as she twisted around in her red dress.

"Come on! We're wasting time. I don't want to miss the red carpet." Kellen squealed before running up to my bedroom. I looked over at Rachel who just smirked and rolled her eyes.

"Come on."

"You look absolutely beautiful, Lilith!" Mommy cried as I sat down next to her at my designated spot. I chuckled and looked over to see an empty chair with a confused look on my face. Everyone was here, my parents and the rest of our extended family and friends.

"Who's not here?" I asked as I pointed at the chair. Everyone shrugged and looked around but I felt as if something was up. For ceremonies like this, there was always a perfect headcount.

The night started off with dancing and listening to people's speeches. There were different writing categories and people accepted their awards. Certain celebrities performed and we ate and laughed.

"We had to save the best for last. For our global award winning novel 'To Love Under The Stars', give it up for Lilith-Anne De Leon!"

Everyone cheered as I stood up, my parents hugging and kissing me as people took pictures. Kellen was cheering loudly along with Rachel and Desiree and it made my heart swell. I looked over at the empty chair before walking up to the stage and accepting my award.

"Wow, um..I don't even know what to say. I thank my family, and my wonderful friends. I thank God, I thank all of you for supporting me and my story. This book was influenced by real life events. There was an amazing young woman that changed my life when I was young and um..I wanted to give the happy ending to my characters that I didn't receive with her. It helped with the healing process and I just said hey..why not share it with the world. Now here we are four years later with this award in my hand. What could I really say?"

"I know what you should say."

I looked up abruptly and was taken aback by the sight in front of me. My breathing escalated and the tears welled in my eyes as I watched Remi walk through the doors to the banquet, walking in with her head high and confidence as she smiled her beautiful smile. She was taller, and a lot bigger. Her muscles were defined and her jaw line was sharp. Her hair was pulled up in a slick bun as she walked in with army uniform on. The camo suit did things to my body I never thought I'd feel again.

She was smiling widely as she walked over to the stage, dropping her beige duffel bag onto the ground and walking onto the stage.

"Explain what happens at the end of the book." She breathed as she looked down at me with that same look she used to give me when we were together. I was completely star struck as I stared up at her.

"T-they get married and have kids."

"That's the ending you wanted us to have, right?" She asked as she got down on one knee, causing everyone including me to gasp loudly as she pulled the velvet box from her pocket. I nodded, the tears streaming down my face and she smiled up at me. She looked so happy and it made my heart want to explode.

"Didn't I say I was going to come back? That I was going to give you everything you've ever wanted?" She asked. I nodded and she grinned.

"Good. Then marry me and let me show you what I have waiting for us on the other side."