Ten.

Lilith:

I paced back and forth as I tried my best to stay awake. It was extra late, going on two in the morning. She would've usually been here by now. She never came this late except the first time she came.

'Are you coming still?' I typed out before erasing it and opening her location. It said she was fifteen minutes away so I decided to wait until then before I started to panic. I ended up coming home late because my parents got too drunk and decided they were going to stay at Aunt Nina's. Kellen passed out on the couch from drinking too much next his parents so asking him for a ride was out of the question.

So I convinced my parents to let me go home on my own even if it was late, calling an Uber on their phone and having them track me until I got to my destination. I was happy they agreed because if they were sober they wouldn't have.

I was afraid Remi was already here but she wasn't, the house being completely empty as I walked through it. I took a shower and everything in attempts to passing time.

I heard a knock at my door and I looked up to see Remi, but she didn't look to great. I gasped and ran over to the balcony, watching as she pushed her way in and shut it.

"No ones home."

"I know."

"Can I take a shower?" She asked as she made her way toward the closet after kicking her shoes off. I noticed her lip was slightly bruised and her clothes were soaked. She smelt like death and alcohol combined and it made my nostrils burn.

"What happened? Are you ok-"

"I'm fine. I'm gonna shower in your bathroom, alright? I need to get this shit off of me before I smoke and I'm dying for a fucking cigarette right now." She hissed as she looked up at me with dark, dilated eyes. I didn't dare test her, nodding slowly before walking over to my cabinet and grabbing a plastic bag.

"Here, I'll wash them for you before anyone gets back." I breathed. She nodded as she slowly grabbed the bag with a pained look and walked over to my private bathroom that was inside of my room and shutting the door.

I was too afraid to ask what happened, knowing that she was on edge already. I didn't want her to blow up on me and we end up fighting and ruining the progress we've made so far. So instead I grabbed my phone and walked downstairs to the kitchen, putting some Tyson Buffalo wings in the oven and warming up some of the baked Mac and cheese mama made for dinner last night. I knew she was probably hungry.

She always was when she came.

I didn't realize I was so deep in thought when the oven beeped indicating the food was ready, making me jump. I laid out plates for us at the table and put our food in the center before walking back in the kitchen to make lemonade.

As I was stirring the yellow powder into the liquid, I felt warm arms wrap around my waist from the back and the smell of my soap hitting my nose.

"What are you making?" Remi asked, her lips pressed against my skin slightly as she laid her head on my shoulder. I swallowed hard at the contact and tried to compose myself as the butterflies stated to flutter around in my stomach and chest.

"Some lemonade. Feel free to eat what I placed on the table. I'll join in a sec."

"Thank you." She breathed, the two words so rare to hear from her that I couldn't help but smile.

"Of course."

She pulled away and I nearly cried from the sudden loss of contact as I listened to her take her place at the table. I dropped some ice into the lemonade glass and carried it over, placing it on the table and sitting down besides her. She was already nearly done with her first plate, reaching for more chicken and I smiled at the sight, before placing food on my own plate.

"Are you okay?" I asked suddenly, causing her to look up at me slowly mid-bite. She chewed for a second, before swallowing and sitting up slightly.

"Yeah I'm okay. Just have people." She muttered before falling silent and continuing to eat.

I knew she wasn't okay, but I also knew that she isn't the type of person to go into details about things. I've learned that ever since we rekindled.

We finished the rest of our food and walked upstairs to my room after cleaning up. I had to make sure there was only one dish in the sink so no one knew she was here. My mom was extremely observant like that and it scared me.

We were now on my bed watching the proud family, Remi tapping her finger against the bed. I knew it was because she was sobering up and I watched as she stood and walked to the closet.

"Ima smoke. I'll be right back." She bummed before walking over to the balcony and opening the door before shutting it. I stared for a second, contemplating whether or not I should sit outside with her before sighing and standing up. I grabbed my quilt and opened the balcony door, the smell of weed hitting my nose.

"Hey." I breathed as I sat down on the chair next to her. She nodded slowly as she inhaled from her joint before exhaling into the sky. We stayed quiet for a second and she looked over at me with low eyes.

"You want?" She asked. I shook my head, before staring at it and shrugging before taking it from her hand. I inhaled slowly before coughing and patting my chest, hearing her snicker next to me.

"Such a baby." She chuckled as she took the joint back. I sucked my teeth and snatched it from her hand before inhaling and exhaling smoothly.

"I've done it before, douche."

"Oh wow..such a bad girl."

I swallowed hard at her tone and looked over at her to see her staring at me with low, red eyes that were illuminated from the light coming from my bedroom. She licked her lips and I licked mine before looking away, but gasping as she pulled my face by my jaw and pressed her lips against mine.