Nine.

Lilith:

Unedited.

The last few weeks after the night Remi got comfortable in my closet have been bittersweet. I spent my days counting down the minutes until bedtime, trying not to look to excited so my parents don't suspect anything.

They've been asking me more questions about Remi now that she's been 'missing' for two months now. They didn't file a police report after they saw the window to her bedroom open indicating that she was doing her normal back and forth. They were still concerned because she would usually make her presence known, but hasn't.

That wasn't my problem though. I saw her every night, and the nights she couldn't come she'd call me and we'd fall asleep on the phone together. I track her location religiously.

I was now on my way to Aunt Nina's house for her twins birthday party. She wanted to throw them a large celebration for it. Kellen was chatting my ear off but I wasn't listening.

'Are you going to the party?' I asked Remi.

'Nah. I'll come over after, though. Lmk when you get home.'

'Knowing how our family is, I probably won't be.'

'Then lmk when everyone's asleep. I'll stop by. I'll catch a ride.'

'Alright. Talk later.'

'Mhm. x.'

I locked my phone but looked down as it vibrated and blushed at her text message.

'Send me a picture of what you're wearing. So I can see for myself.'

'I'm wearing a dress.'

'Even better. Send one when you can.'

"Who are you texting like that for you to not be paying attention to me?!" Kellen exclaimed, chasing everyone to look over at me.

"Giselle." I lied as I spoke of an old childhood friend that I haven't spoken to in years.

"Aw, did you guys rekindle?" Mama asked as she looked at me through the rear view mirror. I felt mommy's eyes burning on my face as she looked through the side mirror and I swallowed hard.

"Yeah, saw her at the park a few days ago. Wanted to chat."

"Do you still think she's cute?" Kellen asked.

"Kellen!" I hissed as I slammed my hand down on his thigh causing him to Yelp. I still didn't come out to my parents about my sexuality yet. I'm sure they knew, but I wanted to tell them formally.

"Sorry."

I watched from the doorway as all the adults and children ran around the house and socialized. The music was loud and everyone was nearly drunk already. My parents were socializing with their friends and their families.

I sipped my drink and groaned at the strong taste of liquor before putting the cup down. Kellen kept trying to convince me to get drunk, but I wasn't a fan of it.

"Hey." I heard Isaiah say as he approached me. He was tall, his hair sitting on his shoulders as his eyes beamed.

"Hey. Long time no see."

"Right. How are you?" He asked as he stood next to me. I shrugged and sipped my drink again before looking at him.

"You?"

"I'm great. I'm glad I've got to see you again. You look great."

"Thank you Isaiah. I'm glad to see your moms are doing well."

"Yeah..I wanted to ask..do you want to hang out sometime?" He asked. I chuckled awkwardly and scratched the back of my neck before smiling.

"What happened to me being an eraser head?" I asked. He laughed as he held his stomach.

"Well I've grown to appreciate it."

"So have I."

I turned and swallowed hard as Remi smirked as she leaned against the doorway while smoking her cigarette.

"Here she goes." Isaiah scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Still on my dick, Isaiah? Give it up. I didn't know she was your girlfriend." Remi chuckled as she flicked her cigarette butt out of the window.

"Please don't fight right now." I huffed. Isaiah shot me a look before walking into the house and shutting the door behind me, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Yeah, well I was just passin by, anyway. You can go have fun with your man over there." She laughed, before starting to walk off.

"And where are you going?" I asked as I chased after her through the gate and down the block to where she was walking.

"My ride's waiting for me." She breathed as she stood in front of a blue car that was clearly old and beat up.

I walked closer to her and saw the car door open, the same woman from the mall walking out and standing next to Remi.

"Are you ready? The party is far." The woman asked before looking at me and rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, give me a minute." Remi breathed, her eyes still on mine as the woman leaned in and pecked her lips.

"Hurry up. I'm not tryna be late cause of some kid." I scoffed as she said that and looked at Remi was already glaring at her.

"Chill the fuck out. She's not a kid and and certainly none of your fùcking business. Get in the fucking car and wait or you won't be getting shit from me." She growled as she glared up at the woman who just stared at her before storming to the other side of the car and slamming the door shut.

Remi looked over at me and I looked away before backing up and rubbing the back of my neck.

"Have fun, bro. Be safe, okay?." I breathed before turning around and starting to walk back to the house as I swallowed the ball in my throat. I felt the tears of embarrassment burn in my eyes and walked to the porch before sitting down and letting out a breath.

I watched as the blue Camaro sped down the block, the flash of those silver-blue eyes falling into my vision. That girl was right. I really am just some kid compared to Remi. I don't know why I thought I'd ever have a chance with her to even try and change her.

I sighed and looked down when my phone vibrated, rolling my eyes causing a tear to slip down as I smiled.

'You look pretty, princess. See you tonight. x'