At last, they reached the home of Vaso Fotelis, which was of decent size and was perched on one of the steepest roads Jaylah had ever ridden on. Nevertheless, Thyros remained eager enough that she had to hold him back to keep pace with Klymene and her soldiers' steeds. She gave him a pat on the neck after dismounting, then left to enter the home.

Vaso stood in the doorway to greet them, his enigmatic dark eyes betraying no shock at seeing the Queen on his doorstep. But something in his face softened when he beheld Klymene standing beside her. "Hello, old friend," she said in greeting. He returned it, then moved aside and outstretched an arm to his home. Jaylah ordered her men to remain posted at the front door before obliging.

"Klymene tells me you were a very gifted student," Jaylah said as Fotelis whisked open his back doors to prepare them seats on the patio. "A master architect with a mind for mechanics."

"Flattery," Fotelis said, pulling out a seat for Jaylah, which she accepted. "But true nonetheless."

"I want new weaponry." There was no use in skirting around the subject. "And I need someone to formulate select designs that will put Oceana at the forefront of technological innovation. Is that something you would be willing to do?"

"You are thinking of the possibility of war with Fas Kaling, I presume?" She nodded. "Then we will need to upgrade all current major weaponry, as they are more than familiar with our cannons and mortars, and therefore have the means to successfully combat them. I also believe they have made improvements to the crossbow with inspiration from the handguns of the west, which would also put us at a disadvantage." He leaned back, eyes on the sky as he imagined it all. "We will need time and money, but I believe I can do it."

"I have the funds necessary for the research and production of new artillery. Time...I am not sure. Stalling for more will only last so long, but I will do my best."

Klymene pushed a leather-bound notebook toward Fotelis, saying, "These are all the ideas we have brainstormed, along with a few vague sketches. We are hoping you add your intellect to the most superior ones to make them a reality."

"I am eager to see what you came up with." He took it and began flipping through the pages. "Bombs that, when dropped, would chemically ravage the land. I see we are taking cues from our enemies themselves." He flipped another. "Armored carriages that would transport supplies on their own through the power of steam, inspired by the steamboats the Tilanic are still developing." He shut it. "I like it. These are technologically ambitious ideas, but I never expected anything less from you." He spoke to Jaylah but his eyes strayed to Klymene. She was already looking, her hands clenched in her lap. Jaylah was aware of a tension between them and wondered if they had ever wanted to be more than classmates.

"You were correct to take advice from Miss Lykaios, Your Majesty. I will get working on this project immediately."

"Good." Jaylah stood. "Thank you for your hospitality. We will be in contact."

"Take care," Klymene said to Fotelis, which made his dark eyes become a little gentler. She acted as though she did not notice, though Jaylah knew she did.

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕

Jaylah excused herself from the table after dinner was finished, but Ermalai stood to catch her before she left. "Your Majesty, may I speak with you a moment?"

Adrik shot Jaylah a curious look, wondering what she had done to earn his father's disapproval. "I am a busy woman. You may say whatever it is you want before I go."

"Oh, but I believe it must be in private." He gave her that sheepish smile that made her want to scream.

"Fine." She tried not to spat the word. "We will go into the hallway." She did not bother meeting Adrik's eyes before they left him behind.

"I have a couple things to bring to your attention," Ermalai said when they were alone. "The first is that I have seen your personal maids in my quarters several times. My policy on staff is that no single group of servants should be stationed in my room. I prefer a cycle of different servants, as it makes me more comfortable that there will be no eavesdroppers."

She had never sent her maids directly into Ermalai's quarters because of its riskiness. He was lying to intimidate her with his suspicions. "I apologize for any discomfort," she said, holding her tongue against other select comments she wished to make. "It was my understanding that you accepted nothing below the best level of service, and I expected as Czar you would like to share my personal servants. It was my mistake."

"A simple mistake." He bobbed his head, which made his scalp shine through his thinning hair. "I thought so. I just wanted to warn you."

Something dark and uneasy had settled into the abandoned hallway. "Warn me?"

"Well, I would be simply beside myself if any of your maids were in the wrong place at the wrong time and had to be removed. I know you care for your staff, and I admire you for it."

The translation was crystal clear: if she send her spies after him again, he would kill every single one.

Never mind that he had done the exact same thing to her through Alexander. If she had the mercenary killed, Ermalai would rain all hell down on her. If Ermalai had her spies killed, she would have to remain silent and take the loss. If he got revenge he was lauded for taking authority. If she got revenge, she was bloodthirsty. She had partially done it to herself by making them fear for her sanity in the first place. But there was still that one glaring difference between them that no one could change.

The Kalingi were going to come for her. She could not lose this alliance.

"I see." There was a bit of a waver in her voice and even she could not decide if it was purposeful. "Duly noted."

"Then there is the second matter. I noticed that you have become friendly with Mr. Khan."

A sensation like tiny pinpricks spread down the back of Jaylah's neck. "He is somewhat of an enjoyable presence."

"How delightful that Her Majesty is making foreign friends. I am glad to see it. I only wanted to make you aware of the way the court may perceive things. You know how vicious they can be. And a story about the Empress's unfaithfulness to her poor betrothed will spread like wildfire."

Ermalai's eyes were clear as he put a fatherly hand to her shoulder. "Do not give them any more reason for them to think you are a whore."