"Okay, okay, very funny. Explain to me how you've been observing this party."

"Really?"

"Really."

"There's not really anything to explain. I stand here and I watch. I watch individual people. I can tell what kind of person they are based on their outfit or how they carry themselves. I watch how they interact with other people and those people to others. I watch when small crowds come together and when they scatter apart. I watch the way people act after someone they were talking to walks away. I either spot a scowl or a smile or something along those lines." I quickly remind myself to shut up because I've just been rambling and he's probably looking at me like I'm crazy.

Slowly turning my head to him, our eyes catch once again. However, his stare is different this time. More calculating. As if he's trying to figure something out.

He seems to come to a conclusion on what he was thinking about because he abruptly stands up straight, reminding me just how tall he is when he towers over me.

I am sure he is going to walk away but instead, he does something completely different.

He offers me his hand.

"Dance with me."

I gape at his outstretched hand for a good three seconds before looking back up to meet his eyes.

"What?"

"Dance with me." He repeats.

Not a question.

A command.

Dance with me.

Not looking away from him, I pull my hands from their spot behind my back and hesitantly place my right palm into his left.

I notice people notice him and move out of the way. Creating a clear path for him to walk through. But they don't stop looking. No. Once they see us, they don't look away. Their greedy eyes glue themselves to us as he guides me to the centre of the ballroom.

Goosebumps raise on the back of my neck and along my arms as I register that half of the room are ogling us.

Paolo Buonvino's "Vision" begins to play., one of my favourites, as Lucas places a hand on my waist and the other repositions our already connected hands so that our fingers are laced together.

I put my free hand on his shoulder and we wait for the pace to pick up before we begin to move to the music.

More people move as we continue to dance until everyone is practically against the walls.

Everyone.

Everyone is staring.

I feel the heated gaze of every pair of eyes in the room. And yet I cannot seem to allow my eyes to escape the ones that are boring into mine.

I look up at him as he stares down at me. We move all around the middle of the ballroom. Our bodies mindlessly dancing to the beautiful music in the background. It's volume filling my ears and causing a shiver to run down my spine.

We move in circles all over the middle of the room.

I forgot what it was like to dance like this. I haven't done it in so long.

I almost fail to recall the feeling of adrenaline that courses through your veins. The magical feeling of being in control just as much as you are not. Of letting it overcome you.

And right now, I feel that. But ten times as strong.

Lucas removes his hand from my hip and twirls me around. He then pulls me close before placing both hands firmly on my waist and hoisting my up. My palms land on his shoulders as he spins me in the air.