Chapter 75 - Ashley | Run

"She decided long ago that life was a long journey. She would be strong, and she would be weak, and both would be okay."
- Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi

"- Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi

****

"Layla, do you two have it all figured out up there?" I asked her over the earpiece. She and Niall were standing on a rise near the outdoor movie theater.

"Yeah, we can see the whole place from up here," she replied. "We'll let you know if we notice anything out of the ordinary." Niall added.

"Good, Harry and I go to our seats right away," I told them.

We had planned the whole operation carefully with the others. Everyone had a task so that nothing would go wrong.

"Let's hope that Jacob will actually show up," Zayn said. He and Piper were responsible for the technology, so that a connection failure can be traced immediately or to track down other communication channels.

Who knows if Jacob is still being tapped and maybe he is also being accompanied and monitored incognito.

"Those crappy disguises Louis and Liam got are pissing me off." Harry hissed to me as we entered the compound. "Besides, I don't see what a cap and sunglasses are going to do anyway, we'll still be recognized."

"Better than showing up with nothing and hey, at least we look hot," I winked at him with a grin.

"That anyway." he chuckled. "Let's just do this quick now."

"I'm definitely with you on that one. I'm already getting annoyed by the crowd," I agreed with him.

"Everyone stand by and pay attention," I announced over the linked earpieces.

After getting an acknowledgement from everyone, we sat down in our seats, but they were separated from each other. A few feet in front of us was the giant screen where the movie of the evening was about to be played.

"Have you seen Jacob yet?" asked Harry over the earpiece as he looked around unobtrusively, scanning the crowd.

"Not yet," I whispered into the earpiece as I did the same and scanned the people.

But then I spotted the familiar brown hair moving toward me. "There he is." I hissed and with a glance over to Harry I noticed how he didn't take his eyes off me for a second.

"Ashely, how nice to see you here." Jacob greeted me as he sat down in the empty seat next to me.

"The pleasure is all mine." I faked my friendliness with a smile. "I'm glad it worked out, where have you been the last few days?"

"Oh yeah, my last few days have been...stressful." he laughed nervously. "Sorry again for just taking off like that last time."

"No problem." I smiled. "The message got through, so to speak." I emphasized the message part, hoping he would understand what I meant.