Chapter 39 - Harry | Road trip

"Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith."
- Steve Jobs

"- Steve Jobs

****

I just can't believe it. What the fuck just happened?Like an injured animal on the run, I limped toward my car to finally reach safety. I lost sight of Ashely, but I didn't care because I had the two USBs. I had not expected that this exchange would develop in such a way. I thought that Ashley might get me into some trouble by not cooperating, but I didn't expect Nick to screw me over. Well, what did I expect from someone like him anyway?

The little rat can start praying, because if I catch him only a higher power can save him. Everything in me wanted to turn around and shoot him a bullet between the eyes, but fortunately my mind still held me back. Because of my injury, I am not like myself and definitely more vulnerable, which this nameless bastard would take advantage of.

Who the hell is he? And what does he want from me? Apart from my death, of course. But why does he want me dead in the first place?

Working with Ashley is something I didn't expect either tonight and it doesn't need to be repeated. Sure she's good, I'll give her that, but at any second she could turn against me and try to kill me as well.
I prefer to work alone.

Finally my car was in sight and with the last of my strength I dragged myself into the driver's seat. The adrenaline rush I still had prevented me from collapsing and I felt the bullet still lodged in my shoulder. But I don't have time to pull it out now, because I have to leave urgently.

Just as I was about to start the car, the passenger door was pulled open with a swing and a petite figure sat down next to me. When I looked into the blue crystal eyes, I realized that it was her. Ashely.

"What the hell? Get out of the car!" I yelled at her, upset. Who does she think she is? If I had my gun now I would point it at her.
"Nope. You've got the USBs and I'm not going anywhere without them!" she retorted, growling and crossing her arms. Stubbornly she stayed in her seat without moving or making any effort to get out again.

I let hot air hiss out of between my teeth and now started the car shaking my head. After all, I can't wait for her to leave, because I don't have the time. Who knows when the nameless one will come running out of the warehouse and shoot me in the tires and then in the head.

At a fast speed, I drove the car off the abandoned lot and just tried not to pay attention to Ashley. My white tshirt is now completely soaked with blood and the pain finds its way slowly in my head, because the adrenaline is just temporary and about to lose it's effect.

I drove the car onto the main road towards London, but before we reached the turn to get to the city, Ashley grabbed the steering wheel to change direction. I had completely forgotten her presence in between and this sudden intervention thus not at all expected.