Late | Cali x New Mexico?

Now normally California was exceptionally early to meetings. By up to 20-30 minutes.
It had started as an accident, he had kept getting the times wrong and Cali had actually thought he'd shown up late. So late in fact everyone else had left.
Gradually, this had turned less into a mix up in times, and more into a pride thing.

He was always early, always the first one there besides maybe the fed himself. The others had even started making jokes about it. Which, looking back, wasn't all that surprising, alot did find it rather annoying. Especially when he would lord it over some extremely late states.

Today however, did not go as planned and he was currently 15 minutes late. He cursed internally at himself, not looking forward to the others reactions to his tardiness. They'd surely tease him, like normal.

He cringed at the memories of having such pride for being early.
God! If only he hadn't made it this way, that if he was late people were going to make fun of it. Maybe if he hadn't said it out loud the chance of the others, particularly his western colleagues, wouldn't notice might be less then 100%.

Finally, California was facing the big oak doors. Frenzied chatter could be heard from inside, as well as various ranges of laughter.

Wow he really pitied Gov today, it sounded so chaotic. Surely he wouldn't help if he were to join now. He could just say he felt ill, or was doing some sort of errand or-

No.

Nope.

He's gotta go in. It's the responsible thing to do. And he was a very responsible state.

Cali takes a deep breath and pushes the door open, entering with what he hoped was an air of confidence.
He quickly flashed a smile at Gov and went to grab his seat. His hand swiped at empty air and he paused, confused.

A few snickers echoed around the room. A heat quickly rose to his cheeks. That's weird..his chair wasn't there.

A quick spin around and Cali could see the chair was, in fact, no where in the room, and all the other chairs been occupied.

New Mexico had a strange look on his face that might've been pride.

"..where's my seat?" Cali resists the urge to cross his arms, instead giving Gov a questioning look. Surely he knew who the culprit was.

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Arizona turn to New Mexico with a grin on his face, New Mexico returning that look with a small shush. Rather suspicious..

Gov sighed. He looked frazzled.

"New Mexico took your chair as some sort of...prank or whatever? Or Revenge I'm not entirely sure."

The fed didn't even look up to answer.

Ah. So it was him.

California turned to face the offender, crossing his arms and giving him his best glare. He was slightly aware this guesture might make him look bratty, but he didn't exactly care in the moment.

New Mex looks up at him, grinning just as much as Ari now. "Why? What are you gonna do about it?"

He opens his mouth to give back what was likely a sassy retort, but closes it and tilting his head slightly. He had a better idea.

A smile curved his lips upward slightly as he sauntered his way over to New Mexico. He was forcibly quieting his anxious thoughts, there was no point for it, not like he could really back out now without at least looking weird.
It only took a second to cross the room and promptly plop himself in New Mex's lap.

The state under him made an indignant noise and when Cali looked him in the eyes, daring him to say something, to push him off, New Mex was bright red.

"If you're going to take away my chair I might as well use you as one." Cali said, giving him a smug look. He turned his face back to Gov.

"So, what were you talking about?"